Get your dictionary and look for the meaning of the word…. moonlighting.
Ok, now you know.
When I think of Christmas, I think parties, functions and holidays! But for a business owner, Christmas and the opportunities that arise at that time of the year should mean much, much more. We all know that Christmas is fun, but have you ever thought of using it as an opportunity to improve your business and its many relationships
Christmas means different thing to different people, it’s a period of family reunion, a time of celebration. Now is also the time to bring out my contact list and renew my friendship, maybe do a business or two.
While we are trying to get all the excitement out of Christmas, wouldn’t it be a good time to moonlight? Here are few moonlighting options I would like to share;
- Delivery Business: Remember that Xmas is a time for gift exchange. Remembering that, the world is global, where people work and live in different places. For individuals travelling, and would like to get gifts for their faraway friend. Why don’t you be the channel there and make some money, if even it would just be buying you a pair of shoe. I bet you will wear it with pride because you worked and earned it. In Nigeria, delivery business is very convenient, though you need be careful and make sure you inspect all the items that your customer wants delivered to be sure, you aren’t passing across contrabands. You can walk on to any registered transport business, and send it through them. Have a contact at the other end that would help you dispatch and deliver these gifts.
- Decorating Business: you would say, there are 1001 decorating company out there, this is Christmas, the month is over-saturated with celebrations, and you would have more than enough to do. Even if you don’t feel up to large scale decorating, how about home decorating for individuals that would be working into the yuletide season. You just need to ask, to get. Ask people around you if they would need help with their home decoration.
- Christmas tree decoration: It sounds not too different, but it is. Individuals would prefer if they have well decorated Xmas tree. Put your thinking cap on; bring some Christmas tree to life.
- Cuisine/Sweet Tooth ideas: I don’t mean jollof rice and chicken, every home would be cooking that. Do you know how to make cookies, fish fingers, rolls, flavored yoghurt, cakes, fruit platter, Chinese meals, and kebab? Put them in fanciful Xmas bags, take it to your church, offices, friends and sell.
- Gift Ideas (Knitting, Paper painting, customized cards): You don’t have to be an artist to pull this one. Get the business, meet the artist and deliver the products. Customized items would be hot on the list of most businesses now. If you can knit, now is the time to do simple but beautiful handcraft jobs for the festive season.
- Ice Supply: Now this might be for the limited few with the means of having uninterrupted power supply and a big freezer. A party usually means chilled drinks. Put your freezer to good use, make the water clean, and sit in your house, let the money walk to you.
- Party ushering: Most event planning and management business would have their hands full this season. Why not give a bit of your time, good opportunity to attend a party, network and make new friends. Be an usher at a party.
- After Party Clean up: Festive season brings with it a lot of waste, and that aspect of events is usually overlooked. Talk to event organizers today and make your proposition of cleaning after each of their events. Get a handful of young chaps to help you. Earn cool money Why not think about making use of your rickety car, hiring a pick up van for the season, go and clean after every party. A good opportunity to meet people too, you get invited to parties.
Now beware, am sure you are seeing possibilities in all this activities, but there are certain crime you must never commit at Christmas, Business disappointment at Christmas are the most difficult to forget, because it poses the most embarrassing moments to your customers. You must stick to your word and deliver promptly
You must be timely
You must be beautiful. Nobody would give you a job to do if you look dirty or unkempt. This is Christmas!!!
You must be really creative. You must do it excellently. For all your proposed job ideas, you have to be very unique at it, put some creativity into your business. Stand out. Leave a good impression; get the job all year round…. Who knows?
While you are in this money making, fun catching season, remember the reason of Christmas. Christ gave up his life, for us to have life; He became sin, for us to be purged of our sin. Why not join in his kingdom and experience the joy that comes with giving. Give your life to Christ and give a meaningful gift to someone in need.
Other moonlighting ideas welcome.
Writer: Tunbosun Oke