On March 27th 2010, THESE GENES, a sickle cell project run by Tosyn Bucknor, will throw the JEANS FOR GENES Music… Fashion … Sickle Cell party!
Tosyn Bucknor tells Femme Lounge all we need to know about the event.
So what is JeansForGenes all about?
JEANS FOR GENES is a fashion exhibition and market. It is basically one of the social awareness tools we use at THESE GENES sickle cell project.
The inspiration for the cause and event and what you hope to achieve
Basically at THESE GENES, we play to our strength- media and entertainment. we therefore wanted events that could put people at ease, entertain them, and end up informing them as well!
How can people get involved and be a part of it?
They can come for the event, buy things when they come, participate in the interactive session, and talk to other people about sickle cell!
What were the highlights of the event (2008)
- The fashion! – There were some wonderful designs shown on the runway!
- The music! – back then in 2008, jeans for genes became almost a spotlighting type of event! we had M.I, Bez, Etcetera… look at them now!
- The vibe! – the event was well attended and covered by various media!
- The hosts! – Ebuka Obi Uchendu and Shade Ladipo did marvellous work!
What should be expected from the event this year?
- More fashion! We have an emphasis on teeshirts this year and it would be nice to see what Nigerian designers can do with this item of fashion
- More music! We have Mode Nine! Lami! Overdose! Mo Cheddah! Skales! Skuki! Zara! Loose Kaynon! Hakym the Dream! Wizkid!
- More of the Vibe! Yes o! The buzz has been good and people will want to be at Swe, to network, to hang out, and to support! More media houses have signed up so the red carpet will come alive.
- The Hostess! Dooshima Dabo’adzuana is the voice we all hear and love in Abuja! So now, Abuja hangs out in Lagos!
- The Information! What is sicklecell? What advancements have been made? and More! Plus! YAT will be on hand to talk about HIV AIDS
- The Market! JEANSFORGENES is a market this year! Everything from our designers plus accessories and more, will be on sale at good prices! So come prepared to shop!
- YOU! Yup! We are waiting to see how you will interprete our dress code of TEES and THESE GENES
Jeans for Genes holds on SAT MAR 27th at the swanky SWE BAR, City Mall, Onikan, at 3pm!
Toni Payne, Strictly Naija Clothing, Happy Facez, Imagine Clothing and OUCH! will exhibit, and
Overdose, Mode Nine, Lami, Skuki, Loose Kaynon, Zara, Hakym the Dream, Skales, Wizkid, Mo Cheddah, will perform!
There will be clothes and accessories on sale, and the red carpet is proudly supported by Nigezie, Soundcity, Hip On TV, Quest, STV and more!
Our lovely volunteer models will be made up by Labelles Touch, and accessories by TT DALK FOotwear, BUCKSTONE VENtures, Akin Beads and My Dazzle will also be exhibited!
The event is Strictly By Invitation, and to get on the guest list, potential guests can buy our THESE GENES teeshirts
What else should we know about the event?
This event is supported by s.h.a.r.e, Zapphaire Events, X3M Music, Swe, and our volunteers!
Where can we find out more about the cause.