Bringing the two words together self esteem is the confidence and satisfaction in one’s self. It means to hold one’s self with high regard, having a positive image of one’s self. Self esteem is a state of the mind. It is the immune system of consciousness.It is a sense of self worth.
As a female living in an ever changing world characterized by different situations and diverse set of people, how do you see yourself? Do you see yourself as a failure? Do you see yourself as incompetent in what you are doing, or do you see yourself as not worth anything, not a good wife, mother, daughter, sister etc. Do you let what people feel or say about you make you dislike yourself? I put it to you that your sense of self worth is on the decline.
Are you fat and feeling bad about it because people see you as ugly? Are you the type that has small boobies and your boyfriend says he wants it bigger then you go for an implant not because you want it? (OMG for crying out loud please let people accept you for who you are.) If he decides to leave because of that let him hit the road. Someone that deserves you will come.
Do you give in to peer-pressure just to be accepted by your peers? Are you dating a man because he is rich? What makes you think you cannot make your own money? Did you give in to sleeping with your lecturer just because he threatened you that you will fail his course if you don’t? Who says you are a block head and cannot pass? Did you give in to sleeping with the boss so that you can be promoted? Who says God cannot promote you? Where is your sense of self worth?
Do you have Dreams that you are yet to see come true just because you are not confident in yourself and cannot take that leap of faith to see the dream come through? Are you afraid of quitting being an employee and starting something on your own just because some boss you worked for said you are a good for nothing?
It is high time we began to accept ourselves for whom and what we are. As women let’s always have it at the back of our minds that the people we are trying to please are also not perfect. Don’t let imperfect people make you hate yourself, lose yourself confidence, and self esteem.
TIPS TO BUILD UP YOUR SELF ESTEEM
- Say good things to yourself every time. (Remember life and death lies in the power of the tongue)
- Stop comparing yourself to other people. You are a unique person.
- Mix with positive and supportive people. (Negative people are mind drainers and they do no enrich the mind.)
- Make positive contributions to people’s lives.
- Celebrate your journey, not your destination. Learn to always feel good about where you are now, and to exude self-confidence about anywhere you might find yourself tomorrow.
- Involve yourself with activities you love.
- Celebrate your strengths and improve on your weaknesses
- Take challenges no matter what the results are. Don’t shy away from challenges.
Writer – Femi Ayodele
Photocredit – Comstock