Uncategorized

For Wale Taylor, My First Love – Part 7

love-note-wallpapers

“Hello,” said the male voice at the other end.

“Yemi Martins speaking. How can I help you?”

“My name is Tunde Mann. I have been looking for you for the past year now. I am Wale Taylor’s friend from UniLag.”

The mention of that very familiar name rolled over me like a powerful ocean, its waves pulling me into a whirlwind that suddenly left me bereft of speech. I think I stuttered in response, for the stranger was saying, “I have something to tell you.”

Intuitively, I braced myself. In three words, Tunde Mann gave me the saddest news of my life.

“Wale is dead.”

Completely undone, I froze, unable to hear anything else the stranger was saying.

My employers found me in my precarious state some few hours later. A fellow colleague drove me home – although I have no recollection of this till date. I remember Mummy coming over to my apartment and making me some hot tea to thaw me out of my emotional shock. Mummy told me later that my work colleagues had called to tell her that I wasn’t feeling well. At one point during my non-verbal state, she had wondered if she would have to call an ambulance. But I told her I was fine, she had said – although I have no recollection of that either.

I came out of my trance when Tunde came to visit me later that week. Mummy said he had kept calling my cell phone after the day he had informed me of Wale’s death and that he had become increasingly concerned when I hadn’t picked up the phone. She had finally given him my address and he had come looking for me. In between my frequent bursts of tears, Tunde had explained how Wale died. There had been a cult attack outside University of Lagos’ Campus three years prior. Wale was one of the many innocent victims that had been shot to death. Several days before he died, Tunde said he had scribbled a poem of me in one of his higher education notebooks – one that he had planned to post in the school’s Magazine, but with his sudden death, had been unable to.

“He talked about you all the time.” Tunde said. “You were his muse. He used to write poems about you and post it in the monthly Student Union Magazines. We called him a lovesick Zombie, but he didn’t care. Girls were chasing him all over campus, but his heart stayed on you.”

I gasped in surprise through my tears. “I thought he had forgotten all about me. He stopped writing me.”

“There was a lot he was dealing with. He was always broke,” Tunde explained patiently. “I don’t know if you heard about his parents…how they lost everything they had to 419ers. Then his father had a stroke after that. That incident affected his family badly. In fact, it was so bad that there were times that he couldn’t pay his registration fees, talk less of buying food to eat.”

“He should have told me. I would have helped him.” I wept.

“Maybe he didn’t want to put pressure on you,” Tunde said. “Or maybe it had to do with pride. We’ll never know. All I know is that he loved you. When I moved to the States for my MBA last year, I could only think of contacting you so you’ll know he passed away and to give you this…”

He handed me a pile of papers with scribbles all over it.

“Thank God for Hi-5’s networking site,” Tunde continued, “I don’t know how I would have been able to find you in this big country.”

I looked at one of the papers and realized that they were poems…poems of me written by Wale’s familiar handwriting.

I broke down and wept again. To think that I had thought of Wale forgetting all about me when really, he had continued loving me, left me wishing that I had been more aggressive in my love for him as he had been of me.

I mourned Wale after Tunde’s visit and three years later, I mourned him when I started a new life by becoming Mrs. Mann. Tunde and I had started dating one year after I had heard of Wale’s death. I guess one of the reasons I fell in love with Tunde was because he had so many stories to tell me of my first love – poignant tales that reminded me of the boy who had promised to be there for me no matter what.

It’s been five years since I got married but Wale Taylor will always be in a special place in my heart, as I was in his while he was alive. I grieve for him every day, but I have found a way to celebrate him with joy, for that was how I last saw him – a joyful boy with a rabbitty laugh to everything that was both funny…and not.

——THE END—-

Writer: Lara Daniels is the author of Love in Paradise and Love at Dawn. Learn more about her and her works at http://www.laradaniels.com/or follow her on twitter @LDparables

Click to comment

1. titilala2000@yahoo.com'

Titi

April 7, 2011 at 7:58 am

oh no, such a sad end, but the story is so realistic. Wasn’t expecting it to end this way, but I luv that she ends up married to Tunde Mann.

2. ninaese9@gmail.com'

Nine

April 7, 2011 at 9:15 am

wow…..

3. reachher2001@yahoo.com'

Mariam Opanuga

April 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

Sad ending…

4. arewa81@yahoo.com'

omo'ba adeteju atanda-ajimotokan

April 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the tides of this life!!!
    oh death where is thy sting? where is thy victory?
    L.D., away from the suspense that this story carried with it, it has left tears in my eyes…but im glad she still became a “mrs”..life has to go on
    nice one and kudos!!!

5. bilqees01@gmail.com'

qees

April 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm

its so sad!!!

butam happy he brought her joy at the end.

6. oyindaa88@hotmail.co.uk'

Missbonnie

April 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I LIKE

7. afrikangoddess@gmail.com'

N. Amma Twum-Baah

April 8, 2011 at 12:15 am

🙁 Not a big fan of bitter-sweet endings:-) Great story Lara. i was not expecting it to end like this. You really got me!

8. Pingback: To be a stay home mom … or not « Lara Daniels

9. Pingback: To be a Stay home mom versus a Career woman « Reflections from Parenting

10. myne@mynewhitman.com'

myne Whitman

April 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Blame my HEA side, I so did not expect this. But you made it joyful after all. Thanks for sharing, life can be like that sometimes.

11. oluwaseun757@yahoo.com'

oluwaseun ola

April 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Am awe-struck, jaw-dropped and like “wow!”
    Hmmnnn…welldone Lara. Really gripping

12. akindebe@yahoo.com'

Oluseye

April 11, 2011 at 3:06 am

I have to tell the truth about this story. It is a sad story and I am not happy with the way it ended.I don’t like reading stories that will make me feel depressed for the whole day. It depressed me. So please, the next story you write here, write something that will end happilly. very happilly. I don’t like deaths in a story. I know it is fiction, but I dont like deaths in stories like this. I know everyone else is saying it is a happy story, but for me, it is not. I have to be honest and I’m sorry if this comment is harsh. thank you.

13. macylove@yahoo.com'

macy

April 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

oh my goodness…:(

14. yomiadu@yahoo.com'

mii

April 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

i cant believe im crying …. what a very sad story. nice one lara, well presented.

15. yomi_adu@yahoo.com'

yomi

April 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

wow! great love story…

16. bolade_solomon@yahoo.com'

Bolade

April 11, 2011 at 10:44 am

Sorry, Oluseye, I feel the same way too.
    But thats life, things rarely work out smoothly…..

The story is realistic!!

17. rahabmemoirs@gmail.com'

Tolulope

April 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Sister mi , I was not expecting this kind of end at all, why did you make Wale die, it will have been so roamntic if they got married at the end. Sister, this just earned a master in Romance suspense novels, well done.

18. saraholu@yahoo.com'

Lolade

May 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hmmmm, your books and D.Steel’s are my favorite. Keep up the good work.

Lolade O.

19. crystalklik@gmail.com'

sparkle

June 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm

so sad,bt once tunde came in2 d picture i knew she would end up as Mrs.Mann.had a wonderful time reading it.
    well done!!!

20. Pingback: My Epiphany « Lara Daniels

21. eloisetomczak@t-online.de'

real estate contract

April 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest
    authoring on other sites? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss
    and would love to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my subscribers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free
    to send me an e-mail.