Everyday Living

What I Do In My Bathroom…

My tailor is spot on, as far I’m concerned when it comes to aso-ebi. She has my measurement/statistics, all I do is drop off the material on a Saturday morning (2 weeks before the event) and pick it up on a day to the event. Fitting is done in basically 10 minutes and Viola! My hair stylist is also cool, can be indecisive at times and wants to explore all styles in a visit. I end up calming her down on choosing hairstyles for me when she suddenly becomes excited.

Back to my aso-ebi & tailor story, I made a visit to her shop this weekend. A friend of mine was getting married and the fabric was fantastic, I couldn’t resist the urge to sit down patiently and choose a style, hoping to beat the other babes to it on that day. I dragged my grumpy friend along too; “Why do you always involve me in these random & vain trips” she kept asking.

After we successfully drew up the design by combining 3 different styles from her catalogue to create our own, a tall light skinned young woman came in. Sweating and breathing, she demanded from Aunty Esther “Where is the Clothe?” I knew a drama was going to happen any soon but I of course didn’t know the title yet. Aunty Esther coolly brought out a gown she had sown; it was a mixture of the material and a plain mercury-like material. She presented her design and instantly the lady turn from yellow to red.

By the time the drama had manifested, my friend stop being perplexed and was watching. The light skinned girl tried the gown and started complaining before she ran the ripper up to finally fit the gown;

Is this the style we agreed, eh?!!!!”
“Why did you mix the material with this color, it doesn’t fit the Gele that goes with it?”
“What’s this, why is it tight at the waist, Can’t you see my stomach is coming out?”
“Start removing the green mercury material now, it doesn’t fit my color!!!”
“In fact, I’m done, I’m not going for the wedding again!!!!”

We thought it was a joke as she called her other friends to tell them how horridly her plan was spoilt by a bad dress and so, won’t go for the wedding. My phone beeped and I saw it was a message from my friend “Why don’t you let us plead on behalf of Aunty with this lady, there’s nothing wrong with the cloth, probably she had something in mind and that wasn’t what was achieved”.

As if she knew what was going on around, the lady turned to me and my friend after she was done with her calls “My sisters, please look at what she has done, Can you wear this to where many girls who will definitely have better styles are, please see what she has done?”

My friend replied “Its ok, we understand you. Your outing is very important because you friend is the one getting married, what do you think Aunty can do now to improve on this dress and you can go and grace your friend’s wedding”. She replied “Ok, let her replace the green mercury material with black, I’m sure it will sit well and better on me because I’m light skinned”. Aunty quickly dug through her pile of fabrics, she brought out the black material and placed it against the fabric. The girl suddenly shouted “Eh eh, it won’t go oh, in fact, just use only the material itself to do all the style, I will wear it like that, abi my sisters?”

I was still savoring the free drama when another text came in from my mischievous friend “Aunty Esther is in it today oh, my dear, let’s leave the two of them. Where can we get a cold drink?”

I understand the pressure on young women to look good but I do not understand why we suddenly depend on clothes, shoes, accessories and all that to take over our inner beauty. Beauty comes from within and believe me, cannot be replaced by any other material or make up. All others can only compliment what you had before

Not to worry, I will most definitely post the pictures from the wedding on my page. At least, to show you again “I am Beautiful!”

Writer – “Oyinade is calm, passionate and detailed. She enjoys writing, traveling, listening to people and paying attention to her environment & colours. A brand executive, she constantly strives for quality, excellence, integrity & accountability. She currently works full time with a leading marketing communications firm in Lagos Nigeria.” Check her blog at www.topazandaqua.com

Photocredit – Photodisc

Click to comment

1. myne@mynewhitman.com'

myne Whitman

December 1, 2010 at 3:27 am

Inner beauty is def more important than any clothes or shoes and bags. Hold your head up dear. Nice write-up.

2. ogo.okonji@gmail.com'

Ogochukwu

December 1, 2010 at 9:09 am

Its deeper than the skin…than the surface…but sadly he surface is wha everyone sees first (well, most of the time) and so we feel is the only important thing. Thanks dear.

3. re_thots@yahoo.com'

rethots

December 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

“…why we suddenly depend on clothes,…to take over our inner beauty.”
    Well, cos often times, ’tis wrongly believed that physical expression (while important) is the real essence of beauty.

4. arewa81@yahoo.com'

omo'ba adeteju atanda-ajimotokan

December 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Nice one Oyinade, i particularly like the concluding paragraph-

“As for me when I wake up in the morning and stand in front of the mirror in my bathroom, I show appreciation to God for creating me to compliment other things around and not the other way round. If only people know that every woman is beautiful and has that thing no other can boast off, if only we can look inwards more closely and don’t seek validation from outside. I love me and will keep loving me the way I am.”

Less I forget, nice name also!!!

5. cathyidiong@yahoo.com'

cathy

December 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

that’s what most of us ladies are turning into vain beings n forgetting that what at the end of the day matters most is allwe have inside of us.luv the write-up gurl.

6. chiliz722@yahoo.ca'

Lizzy

December 27, 2010 at 9:52 am

Tell them, Oyinade.
    True beauty is from the heart. It is who you are & not what you wear.
    The scriptures are clear on it: Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.

7. debuskiepsalmist@yahoo.co.uk'

'fola

January 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

this is e very gud write-up Oyinade. our inner beauty is all dat matters most, not jewllery or cloths.

8. olajingbe@yahoo.com'

sofiya

January 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

“I show appreciation to God for creating me to compliment other things around and not the other way round. If only people know that every woman is beautiful and has that thing no other can boast off, if only we can look inwards more closely and don’t seek validation from outside. I love me and will keep loving me the way I am.” This is my best part of this write-up. God bless you for this piece.

9. xty114@yahoo.com'

Olumide

February 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm

i laughed, laughed and laughed.The scene is too funny, from the way u painted it aunty Esther is in for it. I can imagine how she would have prepared to dazzle them at the wedding.You are the bomb. I like your write ups.

10. anagrammatize@yahoo.com'

Eldon Louge

April 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm

More people are going with classier fixtures and accessories in their bathrooms now than ever before. Your own bathroom should be a mini retreat and be equipped to give you both comfort and privacy. You want your bathroom to always be clean but even more than that, germ free. As a married man, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the majority of women consider the comfort of the bathroom as important as the bedroom which may explain why homes being built today have master bathrooms rival the size of bedrooms…

Our personal web blog