Lessons

A Mystery Jigsaw & God’s Grand Design

Jigsaw

A total of 22 hours over 5 days spent on a jigsaw puzzle really does not seem like a good use of anyone’s time. But that’s mostly what I did between Christmas and New Year.

‘Drama at the Opera’ was a Christmas present from last year. However, I had an extremely busy year, so I decided to work on the 1,000 piece puzzle over the Christmas period. It literally left me with little time for anything else. A typical day has been – wake up at 11:30am; jigsaw, food and TV until 7:00pm ish; socialize/party until 2am; jigsaw till 6:00am; sleep until 11:30am.

So it was imperative that I could justify those precious hours spent on a jigsaw puzzle of all things.

But as I put the pieces together, I also began to see loads of parallels between my puzzle and God’s grand design. 10 lessons emerged from this process and related to a number of scriptures I already knew. I would like to share these 10 principles with you.

I won’t list the scriptures as there are literally 100s of verses I could use, but I pray that you see God’s grand design for humanity and specifically for your life as you read through.

Remember, that whilst you list your New Year resolutions, goals and missions. God is poring over the jigsaw of life. He cares for each piece, He is never late, He knows what is best for you and has the whole host of heaven, Jesus and the Holy Spirit working tirelessly to ensure that everything works out for your good according to His divine purpose.

Enjoy!.

Ten lessons from my jigsaw puzzle

1. Each piece was equally important – from the first piece on the table, to the last piece used, I knew that each piece mattered. Even if I didn’t need it on day one, I would certainly need it sometime.

2. Each piece was unique – A number of pieces were similar in shape or colour, but when it came to completing the puzzle. Only one piece was perfect for a specific position.

3. Each piece had a particular role to play – The jigsaw told a story and each piece was part of that story. There was no story if there were no pieces.

4. Each piece played a key role in determining the place of other pieces – I put a piece down, and suddenly I knew where four other pieces fitted in.

5. Each piece was required – A few pieces did not seem to make sense. I could not immediately see how they fitted. I did not discard them, I knew I would need them sometime.

6. Each piece was irreplaceable – even the white pieces with no obvious background or detail had value.

7. Even if only a single piece was missing, the jigsaw was not complete; didn’t matter that I had 999 pieces in place – actually I have 3 pieces missing, and I have spent 3 hours looking for them. In my mind the jigsaw puzzle is incomplete and will remain on the table until I find those three pieces.

8. Each piece had my complete focus – when I picked up a piece to determine its position, it had my complete focus. I had the big picture in my head, but that piece at that time made up my entire concentration.

9. Each piece was part of a bigger important design – I slept most mornings, visualizing the puzzle in my head, woke up thinking about it, knowing that it had to be completed or it should not have been started in the first place.

10. It was good – I experienced a strong satisfaction in knowing that I put every piece in its right position and that the finished design was what I started out to achieve. I took pleasure in it. It was finished and it was good.

May God complete His good work in you.

Last words: A plea: please do not buy me a jigsaw puzzle under any circumstances. 22 hours is a lot of hours; I know; I currently have bills pending, no cooked food, no shopping. Nada!.

Writer: Keno Ogbo

Photo Credit: Jupiter images

Click to comment

1. Lightherlamp@msn.com'

Jaycee (E.A)

July 11, 2010 at 1:57 am

I enjoyed reading these lessons. Especially the last one, ‘It was good.’ iLike this.

2. okbrume@gmail.com'

Suzanne Brume

July 11, 2010 at 8:42 pm

This was great. I guess we can get life lessons from every object or activity. Well done. Deep thinking for a jigsaw puzzle 🙂

3. tola74ng@yahoo.com'

tola adeyinka

July 12, 2010 at 9:43 am

This shows that God can teach us lessons using even the most unlikely of things. Thanks.

4. bolajuwon2002@yahoo.com'

ayobola

July 12, 2010 at 10:14 am

am glad u now know hw much tym God spends on us. dis is a great write up. wel apreciated.

5. beautyay@yahoo.com'

Beauty Fabulous.

July 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

Yes ooo. I totally agree that God put so much time in creating the world and us.
    Nice piece.

6. phunmbi@yahoo.com'

olufunmbi olu-sanmabo makinde

July 12, 2010 at 10:57 am

wonderful!every step,situation we go thru is imp in d big picture-though we may nt see d relevance or imp at d tyme.pray God opens our eyes 2 see d whys n wherefores.thanks 4 d piece

7. toks@punkinpatch.co.uk'

Toks Aruoture

July 12, 2010 at 11:31 am

That made good reading. LOVE #6. Even the white pieces with no obvious background..makes me think about challenges and difficulties that have no obvious bearing towards my goal. #7 tells me that without the trials, the picture would be incomplete.

8. bomi@jollynotes.com'

Bomi Jolly - JollyNotes

July 12, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Great read, thanks for sharing!

9. fadenyke277@yahoo.com'

nikky

July 12, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I think ds piece wil make us 2 value d time nd efforts of God in creatin us & makin d world a beautiful place 2 dwell.

10. bj4shortus@yahoo.com'

Oguntimehin bolaji

July 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm

wow!! lovely

11. myne@mynewhitman.com'

Myne Whitman

July 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm

lol, great lessons and I really like the style of writing. OK, no more jigsaws…

12. rinsola@hotmail.com'

momo

July 13, 2010 at 7:03 am

…… truly this is beautiful … just what u need to begin a week wish i read it on monday lol ….keep em coming …. we r listening!!!! 😉

13. kiirushiro@gmail.com'

Sheeze

July 13, 2010 at 8:19 am

Such a great read as always but with new insight and teaching… I’m I allowing God to complete His good work in me and I’m I willing to complete the lives of those God has brought my way. Thanks for this write up.. Lol… What is someone sends you a birthday gift of a puzzle…

14. moi.downtheaisle@gmail.com'

dta

July 14, 2010 at 7:31 am

“A number of pieces were similar in shape or colour, but when it came to completing the puzzle. Only one piece was perfect for a specific position”
    … deep stuff!

15. ogo.okonji@gmail.com'

Ogochukwu

July 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

GOOD Stuff!! I like 1,2,3,4,5….in fact the entire 10 inspiring lessons. It has served well as a good reminder for me.

Thanks for sharing.

16. Pingback: Living a Life That Counts.  | FEMME LOUNGE ::: Young Women Doing Life Together