It Happened To Me

The Monday Morning Meeting That Changed My Life!

meeting

Image – Comstock

This year has been filled with so many activities, people, events, etc, that have affected my life in one form or the other but I’ll share this particular one now because it’s fresh.

For the first time in my life, I was really put down in front of close to fifteen people. When I say put down, I mean my personality was seriously attacked in a management meeting.  I work for an oil and gas firm, we come together on Monday mornings to have what we call “Operations Meeting”. The management staff and some senior staff meet to discuss the operations of the previous week, and then make projections for the new week.

Join The Nigerian Women BBM Channel

To get this meeting rolling, the different business units make presentations concerning their units and at the end questions are asked and clarifications are made. While I was making my own presentation, the DMD began to ask a few questions which I answered to the best of my knowledge. He spotted out some errors in my presentation, and started to criticize. He began to tongue lash me in a way he had never done before, he used so many derogatory words that made me angry, called me all sorts of names, in front of close to 15 people including my subordinates. This was the height of humiliation!

At some point I could not take it any more I got up and walked out of the meeting to get myself together because it got to a point I couldn’t hold back the tears from falling. After some minutes, I went back into the conference room as I was the one coordinating the meeting and had to see it through, he continued from where he stopped and this upset me real bad. I had a real bad Monday morning.

After some hours, he called me into his office, we talked, I gave him a piece of my mind and he apologized (after a lot of people confronted him about the incidence).

My learning points from this incidence are as follows:

• Never let anyone’s comments about you get to you.
  • When you are put down never retaliate in anger as you will only end up bringing yourself down to the other person’s level.
  • You don’t need someone else’s approval of you self. Just be you, that way whatever comments made doesn’t get you upset.
  • Don’t give room for criticism of any kind by making sure you put in your best in whatever you do.

Being put down in isn’t very pleasant to deal with but I have decided to use it to my own advantage by working on my weaknesses and focusing more on my strengths. That is the best solution to being destructively criticized.

Writer – Femi Ayodele

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know wants to read it. Use the buttons below.

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, and Instagram – woman.ng for more updates.

Click to comment

1. sadealoba@yahoo.com'

sadealoba

November 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

you are right femi, this just made my day

2. yomi_adu@yahoo.com'

Y.A

November 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

most bosses that act this way have personal issues they are dealing with themselves, be it jealousy or LSE (low self esteem). God help us.

3. bisiyede@yahoo.com'

Beeci

November 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm

It takes a lot to view criticism in such a constructive way especially when it is negative criticism…way to go!

4. eve.ezomo@gmail.com'

lala

November 30, 2010 at 7:36 am

Hmmmm. Femi, thanks for this wonderful and inspirational piece. Something similar happened to me yesterday (monday!) and it made to to take to review my life. Ur story and advise is the best thing that happened to me today! Which will also be used as guide into dec and my future. I love u!

5. wemiann@yahoo.com'

wemimo

December 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Tnkz femi…ds msg n advise is for me…I sw a msg on a friends fone bout me n I ws cald..fud eatn,no hair changn,old lukn,ugly n noisy monster n my reactions av bn of silent anger towards him bt ur advice chngd ma mind..tnks luv……

• tittlope56@yahoo.com'

Femi

December 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm

You are welcome dearie.

6. bj4shortus@yahoo.com'

bolaji oguntimehin

December 7, 2010 at 11:57 am

very lovely write up,ive learnt a lot from it cos i get upset when im put down by anyone

7. getolubunmi@yahoo.com'

Boomie

December 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm

tanx for this write-up….honestly, i get demolarizd whneva anyone talks dwn @ me. After reviewing d episode i sometyms conclude i av a low self esteem for lettn it get 2 me bt nw i can handle it with my head held up high. Tanx

8. re_thots@yahoo.com'

rethots

December 14, 2010 at 11:19 am

“You don’t need someone else’s approval of you self.” on point.