Fashion & Style

There Are No Ugly Girls, Only Poor Girls? | Read Before You Argue

Woman working

Image: Getty Images

Tolulope , there are no ugly girls , there are only poor girls”.

These are my sister-in-law’s words, and they keep echoing in my head every time I go out to shop. The first time she told me, I can remember arguing vehemently against her school of thought. I thought it was vain and sinful; my conservative mind could just not comprehend it. But here I am a year after, my walls of defense have totally crumbled, and I have come to believe that money and body beauty walk hand in hand.

Who wouldn’t change after having to listen to my friend’s  daily chatter on her obsession for designers clothing and sophisticated makeup lines,  who wouldn’t change after seeing throng of models that come to my office everyday in their flawless skin and long legs, and who wouldn’t change after my boyfriend’s subtle ways of telling me to step up my game?

Money and body beauty walk hand in hand, they are peas of the same pod, one can’t do without the other, it’s a very bitter pill to swallow because, to be as beautiful as I want to comes with a hard sacrifice; I have to spend more.

So many times, I have tried to convince myself and others that the most important thing to do to be a fine girl is to have self confidence and charisma, but my daily afternoon window shopping says otherwise. Break time at work has now become a time of discovery for me, as I wander along shops to ‘feed my eyes’ on clothes seductively hanging on racks. Sometimes, I even catch the mannequins winking at me, sometimes they smile coyly like shy virgins waiting to be devoured and I unashamedly lick my lips and swallow back my desire to possess them. Most afternoons I set out to conquer and remove smirks off their faces, so I buy things!

In those boutiques I always see a world where I am always beautiful, I have become a shopaholic and I am loving every bit of it.

Written by Tolu Odeyemi

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know wants to read it. Use the buttons below.

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, Instagram – woman.ng and BBM Channel – C001CCEFD for more updates.

Click to comment

1. ogo.okonji@gmail.com'

Ogochukwu

July 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Shopaholic…Hmmm.

I hope you’re saving for your children too o…lol.

There’s also another school of thought that thinks that you can have all the money and not get the body you want. (P.S Ask MJ)

2. babyaida2002@yahoo.com'

Brown Suga

July 23, 2010 at 7:50 am

Tolu echoed My thot’s exactly! Lol! I think this is the unfourtunate truth, unlike many would have us believing otherwise! Not saying however that you have to be rich to be beautiful, but to keep up in today’s world with the craze for perfect skin, hair and nails, the average chic has to make some sacrifices financially! God help us all! Lol! 🙂

3. doyinadesida@hotmail.com'

doyin adesida

July 23, 2010 at 9:32 am

“obsession” that is what is called, beauty comes from inside,not with what u put on, u dont have to own the world for you to be beautiful…….

4. tnasiru2002@yahoo.com'

omotee

July 23, 2010 at 11:17 am

I so agree! U don see rich person wey no fine? well of cos u have the few cases of “money miss roads”, if u have money to dress up, use the right make up etc u shall be a fine woman.

my former bosses wife is actually not a fine woman but u wont remember cos she dresses to the teeth. decent, elegant and classy. who cares if true beauty was not bestowed on her?

generally, i am chief of the “Vain Club” lol!

5. myne@mynewhitman.com'

Myne Whitman

July 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I think the phrase is a bit misguided and it is what the fashion and style industry want us to believe so they keep smiling to the bank. If you hook your self esteem to money and shopping, what of when it goes?

6. lolaagbedana@yahoo.com'

lola agbedana idowu

July 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

i strongly disagree that beauty can be equated to wealth,though cash in hand can amplify beauty,but the truth is that a true accessor of beauty will see thru the millon of dollars.

7. aderonke4u2003@yahoo.co.uk'

aderonke

July 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I don”t think its when u v all d money to buy make-up thatz wen u will look beuriful.There r some pple who r naturally ugly,the more make-up they apply,the more ugly they become.But for pple that are naturally beuriful, little make-up do bring out their beauty. May God help us all.

8. unyimek2007@yahoo.com'

Unyime-Ivy King

July 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

A 16th century sage called Phillip Massinger, once said that, “as the index tells the content of the book and directs to a particular chapter, even so do the outward habits and garments of a man/woman, give us a taste of the spirit, and point to the internal qualities of the soul. There is nothing wrong with dressing up to look good/beautiful. Looking good is good business and is a sine qua non. But, if you are dressing to make up for a lack of beauty, then there is a problem because, pseudo-beauty is on sale at the turn of the head on every corner, but genuine beauty cannot be bought over the counter! True beauty is of the heart and radiates to the outside. Like someone i respect greatly said, ‘you can dress up on top of ugly, but you cannot dress up on top of foolish.’ Also, nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. There are lots of beautiful girls out there-i do not mean physical beauty-who may not have the mega bucks to spend on clothing and expensive beauty routines, but know just how to combine things here and there, to come out looking smashing and oozing oodles of confidence that nobody can beat! This is my talk.

9. unyimek2007@yahoo.com'

Unyime-Ivy King

July 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm

My take, i meant to say.

10. tolu_cutie85@yahoo.com'

tolulope

July 26, 2010 at 12:10 pm

i readily believe that true beauty comes from God not from vain adornings and to be a wise girl , it is advisable to learn from the Creator and ask Him to direct us in getting it right when it gets to outward adornings and fashion because this 21st Century fashion is crazy and obsessive.

11. yomi_adu@yahoo.com'

Yomi Adu

July 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm

hmmm…o ga o, you are a rich girl oooo :), anyways it depends on your definition of beauty, if its just the flashy outside appearance then, ”way to go” but beauty in the long run is in your character, plus or minus the added extras 😉

p.s being a shopaholic could be dangerous if you dunno how to balance it with your other needs

12. atunbioye@yahoo.com'

Akinrinde Funke

July 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Beauty is from the inside,if you observe lying vanities you forsake your mercy

13. chiliz722@yahoo.ca'

Liz

July 30, 2010 at 10:02 am

We are who we are. However, there are measures we can take to enhance our beauty. And definitely, one has to put money up for it.
    At the same time, there are women who are in the money and yet are uninformed about beauty tips & fashion and so the “Money and body beauty walk hand in hand” claim doesn’t apply.
    Then I’ve got friends who are not beauty icons but shun cosmetics, still they get admiring glances.

14. misskikky@gmail.com'

Miss Kikky

July 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I so totally agree with this, if you have got money, then you can cover up the ugliness.