Career & Business

Should I Expose The Lies On Her CV?

Click To Like Femme Lounge On Facebook

I work in the HR department of a company. There was a recruitment recently and I told my friend, who told her neighbour who has been out of work for about a year and needs a job desperately. She sent in her CV and she was shortlisted for an interview because my managers were so impressed with her CV.

Part of my job as an assistant to the Recruitment Manager is to verify the information on applicants CV and get references from their previous employers. But here is my dilemma, this lady’s CV is filled with lies, she actually lifted my friend’s CV and also lied about her education and a whole lot of other things.  The email and phone numbers she submitted for references are not from any previous employer though she claims they are. My friend is in with her on the lies too.

She will probably get the job because she was able to impress the interviewers, but I am quite confused on how to proceed with my own job. Should I just shut up and sign the documents that I have verified her information or should I let my manager know that she is a fake? i don’t want to be a clog in the wheel of her progress especially because i know she needs the job and she can do the job, but my  own job is at risk too.

confused gal

photocredit – Blend Images/Hill Street Studios

1. lylincos@hotmail.com'

Oluchi Ugwu

April 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Hmm…that’s a tricky one. To be honest, it is easier to tell the truth. Tell one lie then you need to tell another tonne to cover up that little, well meaning lie. It spirals on until you ease into the role of a pathological liar. You don’t have to expose her, but don’t sign false documents either.

2. ask4ema@gmail.com'

Ema Leecious

April 25, 2012 at 10:56 am

As far as I am concerned, its a “non-issue”. Just do your job. If you have done your bit and checked out her history and its not the same as what is on her CV, please do what you have to do.
    We keep complaining that Nigeria is a corrupt nation, yet we are the same ones who contribute to it in our own little ways.

If you let her get away with it, then its a bad thing.

Imagine if she were a doctor or pharmacist, would you let her go ahead, bear in mind that she will be working to “save lives”

On the other hand, If you let this pass and you are later discovered, I hope you realize that you have merely sacrificed your working integrity for a “lie”?

Please do the right thing. For your conscience and your career.

3. eaglesndoves@hotmail.com'

Eagles & Doves

April 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Wow…ve seen some stuffs like these but what was she thinking..lying to get a job.It will definitely backfire one day but you as the HR person need to do your job to cover your ass.

But get physical proofs before you attempt to prove anything .

4. jemima.myworld@yahoo.com'

Jemima

April 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Please do your job and tell the truth, i had an almost similar situation when i worked in a bank and it almost cost me my Job, in the end your company expects you to be loyal to them , and you should be, they are paying you…besides,the truth always pays!

5. Kehinde.johnson77@yahoo.com'

Senator kehinde johnson

April 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Our problem in naija is dat we belief in paper qualificatn whereas God has deposited many qualities in each of us.u said she can do it so let it be.

• aijayagoha@gmail.com'

Ij

June 3, 2014 at 12:44 pm

What of if she loses her job when the Company finds out?
      She must maintain her integrity.

• shanteeone@gmail.com'

Sola

June 4, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Sen. KJ…. If you are making reference to God, I doubt endorsing a lie should go with it.
      Like Ema rightly stated, we contribute to acts of corruption in our little ways; what is wrong is wrong, and should not be condoned.
      I’m not in HR, but I know friends who would want me to submit CVs on their behalf, I vet it, and if I notice a lie, I call your attention to it, once you try to explain it away… I’m sorry, but I don’t submit such.
      If she’s capable to do the job, convince the interviewers, and TRUST GOD to make the interviewer(s) see your qualities 🙂

6. 21stcenturycareermom@gmail.com'

Hazel

April 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Integrity is everything in a work place. If she lied about something as mundane as her CV, what would she lie about in the future? Who’s to tell how it would affect the company.

I say do your job…tell the truth. If she’s employed based on her performance at her interview, then her employers would know what they are in for, without being blindsided with lies!

7. ugeeclassic@yahoo.com'

Gift

June 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Do not compromise ur work for anything..she even started with lies..when she finally gets d work,who knows how much lies she would be telling a day just to keep her job…pls my dear be wise and do d right thing

8. tessadoghor@gmail.com'

Theresa Doghor

June 6, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Do what would glorify God
    In the end it is up to you.

I suggest that you call her, ask her to give you a copy of her correct cv
    Exchange it with the one she gave you.
    I am saying this because you say she can do the job. Give her a chance to prove herself and if she isn’t able to, you can let her go.

Cheers

For more tips of being an entrepreneur and a world changer visit http://www.udookonjo.com

To read my novel visit http://www.makingthemostofme.blogspot.com

I am a writer and a social media strategist

9. fabulousglamour@ymail.com'

Kiky

June 6, 2014 at 11:17 pm

My question is what if you did not know her?
    Do you realise that almost if not everyone who applied for that role told a lie on their CV. Its not as if she applied to be a surgeon. I doubt your company sent you to every shortlisted persons house to find out if they lied on their CV. I doubt she would be stupid enough to apply for a role she knows would be too difficult to pick up. If she if hired and doesnt do well she will be fired end of story. Please dont put ‘sand-sand’ in this girls garri. Its not your fathers company. The job market is brutal I take God beg you. It could be you that will be out of a job tomorrow.

• fabulousglamour@ymail.com'

Kiky

June 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

And you even said you know she can do the job. That is all a company needs. They dont care whats on the CV because they know people lie. They want people who can deliver. Even if they hire someone who is shockingly bad at that job that is no reason for your company to fire you. If she impresses the interviewer and gets the job fine. How would you even feel knowing she didnt get that job because of you?