Real Women Real Issues

Why Should Couples Know Each Other’s Passwords?

031014-national-black-twitter-cell-phone-texting

Should Couples Know Each Other’s Passwords?

This is the question rocking my marriage right now.

My husband doesn’t care about his passwords; in fact, I knew them all before we got married. His phone has never had a password, and he sometimes tells me to help him send an email, upload pictures on Facebook, and do online transactions from his bank accounts, so he gave me his passwords without blinking.

I, on the other hand have a problem doing that, we have been married for over a year, he doesn’t know my passwords, I have never told him and he had never asked until recently.

His data plan had expired and he wanted to send an instant message to someone, my phone was on the couch in the sitting room, and I was in the kitchen. He came to the kitchen holding my phone and said, “Honey, what is your password?” I took the phone and I entered the password myself.

He went away, but came back some minutes after and said, “What are your passwords?” That was the beginning of a conflict that we have not been able to resolve till date.

SEE ALSO: My Sister Keeps Going Back To Her Abusive Husband

Am I having an affair that I am hiding? Absolutely not!

Do I think he wants to go snooping around my emails and stuff? No!

I just believe I am entitled to some privacy, and if he likes, he can change all his passwords and keep them from me to be even, I really don’t mind. He doesn’t believe there should be any such privacy in marriage, I disagree, and I know I am not the only woman in this.

– Private Wife.

Image credit: Howcast

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know needs it. Use the buttons below.

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, and Instagram – woman.ng for more updates.

Click to comment

1. staylor@noah69.com'

Married with passwords

May 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

When my father died, no one knew any of his passwords. It was by sheer tech wizardry that we were able to get into his email to get some information we desperately needed.

Now I’m married, I make it a habit to tell my wife all my passwords. Has nothing to do with anything except that if anything happens to me, I just want her to be able to get anything she needs without harassing me.

2. myne@mynewhitman.com'

Myne Whitman

May 3, 2012 at 1:03 am

This is something they need to discuss and agree on. I’ve never had issues sharing such things cos I don’t want anyone close to me to have problems accessing vital info in case I’m not in a position to, due to health or otherwise.

3. topsylove@myopera.com'

Temitope Ifegbesan

May 6, 2012 at 2:07 am

If you dont want it to seem like you have something to hide, please let your husband know your password, considering the fact that he is totally free with you where his passwords are concerned. You guys became one when you got married, and that oneness should permeate all aspects of your lives. So the idea of privacy is fallacious.

4. ask4ema@gmail.com'

Ema Leecious

May 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

If you know all his passwords, its only fair that he knows all yours as well…just saying!

5. moi.downtheaisle@gmail.com'

dta

May 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

i dont see any big deal in sharing ur password..i know my husband’s passwords, atm pin, i even have his bank account token..and he has mine…i have never raised and eyebrow abt it…infact for one of my accts when i applied for transaction alerts, i used my husband’s phone no, and cos of d bank’s stupidity they have still nt rectified it so he gets alerts when anything happens on d acct even when i do my frivolous shoppings. i dont get d part of some ‘privacy’…

6. olurinbaby@yahoo.com'

Olurin

May 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

No big deal in sharing passwords afterall u share the same bed as a couple so what’s so private bout the password.
    Let us stop this old ideologies of half truth to our partners.If you want to open up,do it in all totality if otherwise portray it.
    It’s better to be wise by being 100% transparent!!!

7. constancelutelekapesa@gmail.com'

constance lutele kapesa

November 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

i wish i could say the same,hubby has all my passwords and ihave hs except for one phone, if i want to use it he opens it for me but he never give me the password i pretend not to mind but sometimes it realy get to me,