Marriage

A Letter To Tiwa Savage From Naija House Wife

tiwa savage wanted

Please, before you read this, ensure you are mentally mature because this post is not intended to negatively judge Tiwa Savage! I wrote this so that I could submit my fifty naira take on the controversial video.

Dear Tiwa,

I am a major fan of yours and I have always loved your music right from the very start. I know how bad you must have felt seeing the way your fans reacted to your recently released video ‘Wanted’. I have decided to take time out to explain things to you and make you understand why we reacted the way we did.

Tiwa, from inception, you have been perceived to be an Ambassador of the Youth. You represented the quintessential sexy female role-model, especially in the entertainment world. When we listen to your songs, it sends a message across to the youth. There is always something to ‘take home’ in your songs: for the young female, how to be simple and sexy without being trashy; for the young aspiring person, how hardwork pays; for the up and coming musician, how to sing songs that not only inspire the youths but motivates them in focusing on their dreams. My point exactly…we just loved you and your music (oh! the freshness of your songs).

After all these and then the next thing we get from you is…’Wanted’! It was simply too much for some of us to handle. We were so shocked because for some us, we thought “So she don join Maheeda group of companies!” Please do not blame the fans for reacting the way they did. You know how it is when you have a child who does and says all the right things and then Boom!…she comes out ‘naked’! If Maheeda or Cossy did a video like that, trust me, we won’t blink. We would simply say, Oh, its Maheeda! Oh, it’s Cossy! But you are neither of them, you are Tiwa omo Savage, who sings beautiful songs.

My advice?…Please do not give into the pressure of “Sex Sells”-attitude in the music industry. We are shouting that Today’s Nigerian youth are losing their sense of culture and sense of self, majorly because we want to be accepted by the Westernised society! Please do not add to the factors contributing to societal decadence! Let us please practice what we preach through the music which you give to us and the home-videos we watch. I want that, at the end of the day, when my child sits to watch a musical video, it will inspire him/her to become a better person. Not a person, who believes in using violence, sex and sexually explicit materials to communicate.

I believe, you wanted to say something with the ‘Wanted’ video, but what ever that message was, we didn’t get it because you didn’t allow us that opportunity! Please, I didn’t want to say this but a husband who truly loves you, is supposed to protect his ‘wares’ and not make you do whatever to stay relevant in the public eye!

Don’t feel bad about being critisized for your video, even though there are some ‘touts’ in our midst who seize every given opportunity to exhibit their ‘toutery’! Let me just tell you that, as long as you are in the public eye, you will constantly be judged so don’t let all the ‘noise’ about your video get to you. Celine dione was one lady musician who never changed who she was and we all loved her music. So, we want you to keep being our ‘Celine dione’. Lol!

People make mistakes and you are no exception because you are human (Losers, I hope you understand?!). Afterall, if you think about it, we have a right to complain because you are ‘working’ for us or is the music not for our own enjoyment? So if we say we want Spaghetti and sauce, why do you give us ‘koko garri and groundnuts’!

Love you girl! You will always remain one of my number one sexy female musician.

——————————————————————————————————————————————–

Writer: Chidimma Ajayi blogs at http://naijahousewife.blogspot.com/, this blog is dedicated to all the Nigerian women out there and will be used as a medium to highlight some, most or if not all of the challenges they go through in their homes as well as their lives. Follow her on twitter @naijahousewife

1. tessadoghor@gmail.com'

Theresa Doghor

June 6, 2014 at 11:48 am

Love, love Tiwa Savage
    Seeing her naked wasn’t cool at all
    I am sure she has gotten the fame but at what cost.

I pray she agrees and at least has a say in what she can do and won’t do
    Teebillz is her husband not her God.

Teebillz, e ma binu
    Tiwa loves you. Don’t make her do stuff that doesn’t glorify God
    We love her too much.

Want more of the type of songs she used to sing
    She is not Beyonce
    Please protect her soul.

2. akinlesinur@yahoo.co.uk'

Akinlesi Nurudeen

June 6, 2014 at 11:53 am

Dear Naijahousewife, I want to commend you sincerely for the piece of advice to Tiwa Savage. I think every reasonable African man or woman will agree with you. It is rather unexpected of a decent single lady less to talk of a married one. I guess her husband either did not value or treasure her as much or he is simply after something else in her that he is waiting to grab before abandoning her. Thanks.

3. husseinbola@gmail.com'

BBH

June 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Good good piece. Thumbs up Mrs Housewife

4. emmanuel.uduma@yahoo.com'

emma

June 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Dear Naija house wife, get a life! There is nothing wrong with the video or what she is wearing. I am sure you have more pressing, more important issues to attend to. We are all such bunch of hypocrites! Abeg abeg!

5. Charmingtolu@yahoo.com'

Charmingtolu

June 6, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Very good advise, it’s like you took the words right out of my mouth. So many stupid senseless people called it beef and said why don’t we criticise Beyonce and Rihanna. Tiwa is neither Beyonce nor Rihanna. That “wanted” music video is just not Tiwa. She did not even look comfortable doing it and it all looked so forced like she’s trying too hard to be sexy when there’s nothing more sexy than being yourself. I know there’s a lot of pressure in the music industry to be yourself in a world that’s constantly trying to make you be someone else and a world where we prefer to neglect our culture and high standards just to fit in to the western way of life where they believe if you’re an artist, less clothes mean more money and popularity which is so wrong. You have always been yourself Tiwa, don’t let anyone take that away from you, not even your “husband”.

6. gatibra@yahoo.com'

biola

June 6, 2014 at 7:17 pm

My girl of 6yrs mistaken press my fone n somehow open d links,do u knw what she says,she screamed anyama n I just looked @ what anyama is,I saw tiwa savage naked,if a girl of 6yrs cn actually says anyama,its means rubbish,den its actually rubbish.

Joke

June 7, 2014 at 2:31 am

errrr….she was not naked ma. Maybe you need to check the meaning of naked. or watch the video again>

7. ibinod77@gmail.com'

Dolapo

June 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm

You hit the nail on the head. Tiwa is the only “secular” musician I listen to and have her songs on my phone. I think I saw this coming, when she sang the beautifully worded love me love me love me… and then “spoiled” it with that raunchy video. Wanted is simply over-board – the moves, the “dress”. I keep wondering what Mr. Tee Bliz tells himself to justify putting our girl out there like that. Still got love for you, Tiwa, Pls do Mr & Mrs Savage proud and do damage control. I take God beg you.

8. reggie@calabarboy.com'

TheCalabarboy

June 7, 2014 at 1:15 am

I’m not sure what the writer is trying to communicate. Is Tiwa Savage a gospel singer or a communicator of moral values through her songs? Didn’t she originally come out banging her laps and swinging her hips? Which person refers to her as a role model for their young daughter? She is only communicating what she knows best and I think she should be allowed to do so and do it very well. Who claims sex doesn’t sell? When she is an old woman with many daughters, then she will be able to judge herself if indeed she was a blessing to humanity or not. I saw the video and my initial expression was “Wha??”. But then I realized it was Tiwa Savage after all and not Cece Winans.

9. Jokeerr@yahoo.com'

Joke

June 7, 2014 at 2:26 am

I totally disagree with you! I thought that video was cool and she didn’t expose anything to me!!!! These same people that are shouting Tiwa exposed too much are the same set of people that liked rihanna’s naked pictures. I thought she was well covered up and looked decent and very sexy too. Way to go Tiwa!!!

10. chidi00775@yahoo.com'

chidi

June 7, 2014 at 6:37 am

Pls leave the Tiwa Savage alone. She wasn’t naked on the movie. All you self righteous people. The movie is not for some people. If you don’t like it, other’s do. The movie is for beyond Nigeria. Naija has the highest number of Christians and yet the highest number of Criminals
    You can make your own video and wear `etibor’/ `Maxi’.
    Criticism is allowed but this is my own opinion.

11. Akinirinoye@yahoo.co.uk'

Haykay

June 7, 2014 at 9:41 am

U peeps just kip disappointing yourselves with your posts , what has she done that you have not done worse abeg u no holy pass oooo

12. idees_4u@yahoo.com'

Idy

June 8, 2014 at 12:39 am

I will say…too much of Rihanna, a lil of Beyonce and that gives you the emancipation of Tiwa…”Madam Wanted”. Since she wanted to wear the suit, she could have had it in different colours and designs…She must have loved the outfit that much to refuse to change…lol
    Candid opinion…she doesnt need to go in this direction to sell her music. She’s got the fan base already, her competitions arent that many and the ones around, she floors them! …she’s lost a lot of pointers from my end 🙁

13. junyfingers@gmail.com'

Onyeador Anthony

June 8, 2014 at 12:50 am

Dear Naija Housewife, I defend your opinion and as well value it. Whether it seems it was covered or not properly covered isn’t the argument for she wore a cloth. What I seem is the bane which most Nigerian women of average intellectual freedom will think just as you’ve, is that it isn’t a good Nigerian Dress and action displayed by Tiwa and she (Tiwa) wasn’t comfortable in the video as it didn’t reflect a proper attitude in the kind of videos she present as well as the Nigerian standard that should be endorsed as addressed in her other videos.

Apart from the dress which has now become an attack stuck on opinion and sentimentality, the other lessons and values that makes Tiwa a Model of the Nigerian Women and Youth Ambassador was poorly reflected and this you advised in the tone of your letter. Nevertheless, it would be unfortunate that most people wont agree with you but it is the right thing to do of which I defend blindly or vividly.

Thus I truly suggest as I add my voice that the way you advised and correct her is the way I may take though from the Opposite sex as I pray for such people like you as well as femme lounge should defend and promote whenever such mistakes arrive.

Thank you again and to you Femme Lounge. Kudos to your work.

Onyeador Anthony.

14. Pingback: Opinion: A letter to Tiwa Savage from a Naija housewife |

15. Pingback: Opinion: A letter to Tiwa Savage from a Naija housewife | The Talkative

16. Pingback: Opinion: A letter to Tiwa Savage from a Naija housewife | Naijatowncrier.com

17. tracey29j@yahoo.com'

Tracey

June 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

Very well said.

18. Pingback: Opinion: A letter to Tiwa Savage from a Naija housewife | What Nigerians are Talking About Now

19. Pingback: Celebrating unapologetic sexy Black women | This Is Africa