Body & Health

Bed Wetting At 30 Is Ogechi’s Enduring Nightmare

reclining woman sketch by klimt

If children feel embarrassed when they wet their beds, imagine what it is like for an adult who does. Yet there are adults who experts say probably number in the millions, who are bed-wetters. Because of their problem, they often live in constant fear of embarrassment, afraid to share their beds and rooms with loved ones and guests.

For those adults, bedtime is not as simple as ABC; it is in fact another time of dread and a reminder of a problem most people have outgrown at an earlier age.

For 30 year old Ogechi, who suddenly started bed wetting as a teenager, life has been an enduring nightmare. She wakes up each morning hoping to see dryness… Words can’t express how what she experiences affects her social and emotional life.

She says:

“I constantly think that I am a blemished piece because I have often been rejected and mocked by people around me. It’s been hard to keep a relationship with a guy. Who wants to go to bed with a bed wetter? I have never known what it means to be self confident; it affects my self esteem and all areas of my life.
I have visited so many doctors, even a psychiatric and psychologist; they have all suggested different reasons that could be responsible for the condition. Ranging from emotional trauma I faced as a child, to my deep sleep pattern, and environmental allergies. And someone actually had the guts to suggest that I wet my bed because I was lazy to go to the toilet at night!
There has been lots of improvement over the years but I still look forward to when I will never have to worry about waking up wet anymore.”

There are several medications and medical conditions which can cause adult bed wetting. Fortunately, there are aids and treatments that can minimize the incidence and impact of bed wetting in adults.

Please see more guide on the causes and treatment of adult bed wetting at – http://www.nafc.org/adult-bedwetting

Image Credit: Gustave Klimt

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know needs it. Use the buttons below.

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, and Instagram – woman.ng for more updates.

1. titilayo714@yahoo.com'

Olajumoke Opemuti

November 24, 2009 at 10:20 am

I believe she should just go to God about it and there wii be total healing for this sort of things are not from God.I feel her plight and hope that there will be an improvement very soon.

2. beautyay@yahoo.com'

Beauty Faboyode

November 24, 2009 at 10:46 am

I know someone who had the same problem… She was bed wetting at age 24, she has stopped now. How did she do it?
    She can across this scripture that says, I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.Philippians 4 verse 13.
    She prayed this scripture for a month every night before sleeping…
    And whenever she felt like wetting, a hand taps her awake n she goes to the loo.
    She never knew she had stopped til her younger cousin pointed it out that, Auntie hasn’t peed on the bed in months.
    Sounds funny, but it the whole truth cos,
    With GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
    I believe she should go to God in prayers and He will sure prove Himself.
    That’s for Sure!!!

3. alexsewo2002@yahoo.co.uk'

Alex Sewo

November 24, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Iam sure she would had seek for spiritual solution, yet i could only advice her to be the solution to her problem by personally taken the problem to God via thankgiven and praises while on white fasting for three days. He will do it. Best of luck…

4. folamodupe@yahoo.com'

folaranmi osifuwa

November 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm

my submission in this case,is for the lady to turn to the one that makes solution to all problem,the word of GOD is so sure to give all solution to this problem,by his stripes we are healed,i believe with her that is absolutely healed and brought back to divine restoration.it is well with her.

5. jimmychitsulo@yahoo.com'

JIMMY CHITSULO

November 25, 2009 at 1:16 am

I think the problem is with the malfunction of the kidneys and the vulva.Theres less coodination between the brain and the excreation systems.This woman needs a doctor,she dont have to be ashamed because its common nowadays and she needs God.

6. lovelymayokid@yahoo.com'

Yetunde

November 25, 2009 at 3:17 am

I totally agree with Beauty Faboyode..i didnt stop bedwetting myself until my SS1 in secondary school, i was in the boarding school so u can imagine a bit of what i faced..but mine wasn’t bad at all..i was just a spoilt child
    But as little as I was then, I prayed to God and I always felt someone tap me to go to the loo everynight..it was like magic, and after a while i stopped…
    So i believe, there is no challenge too small or too big for God to deal with
    Am a living testimony of his GOODNESS

7. kunleaccord@yahoo.com'

Adekunle Cole

November 25, 2009 at 3:48 am

My younger sis was once like that, But ma mum gave her a local medicine and she stopped. I also believe in what God can do but at times He uses people to render help to others. If she need my help she can reach me. It is well.

• tayorh@hotmail.com'

shola

July 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

kunle. Could u pls get me some info on d medicine. My sister-in-law has d same problem and she’s married. I’d appreciate d help asap. Tanx

8. meenese@yahoo.com'

Maureen Esekhile

November 25, 2009 at 5:27 am

ogechi! you are very special and the fact u wet the bed dosent make u less, i would say that u calm down and go to God in prayer, only he alone will show u how to Deal with this situation, u never know, maybe this bed-wetting u see as a curse might have been a blessing all these years protecting you from unseen and tragic situations! in everything we should give thanks to God! its difficult but they that wait upon the Lord, he shall renew their strength! i know a lady who wets the bed but she is married with kids and living a happy life with a man who understands, loves and is willing to go tru the problem and fault with her! it will be over sooner than u know! love always

9. femi_niwo@yahoo.co.uk'

femi Niwo

November 26, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oge it is well….GOD WILL RESTORE….

10. davos4lord@yahoo.co.uk'

David

November 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm

its so simple, if you still bedwet at any age at all,1st of all alwys eat light b4 bed with little fluids,2nd don’t over work b4 bed,sleep early Or at ease 2remain fairly conscious of ur self/envir.., 2 b safe while learning 2 discipline ur blader 4rm d mind,set an alam 4 every hour or 2, wake 2 pee den set it again depending on ur bladder refill within weeks ur body will automaticaly be cautioned… yeap!

11. misi_jim@yahoo.com'

Yemisi Adesina

November 30, 2009 at 10:49 am

Dear Ogechi,
    Only God can solve your problem. You can visit doctors but its only God that can give a lasting solution. I totally agree with Beauty, Maureen and Yetunde. Though a somewhat tedious and embarassing journey, God will surely give you the grace to keep holding forth, having faith………… Stay strong sis……..

12. eakindele@yahoo.com'

WORLD BEAUTY

December 1, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I am a living Testimony when it comes to Bed wetting. I was disgraced over and over again like it was my fault that it happens. But at the end of it all God sure saw me through it and showed me the greatest LOVE that made both the bedwetting and disgrace accumulated over the year vanish really fast.
    So Ogechi, put a big smile on that beautiful face of ours and know that your Savior liveth and HE will do it in HIS time…

13. Pingback: Bed Wetting at 30! | Femme Lounge | Health News

14. strictlyonlinebiz@gmail.com'

Udegbunam Chukwudi

February 28, 2010 at 5:12 am

She needs to see a gynecologist. Trauma during childbirth could cause this. That is if she has had kids before.

It is well.

15. kiirushiro@gmail.com'

Sheeze

March 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

I agree with Beauty and Alex with God all things are possible after all He is the Supreme Maker and He moulded us into beautiful beings who shouldn’t suffer and be embarrassed coz of what our bodies has to go through, take heart sister, God is the perfect Healer.

16. tundesow@yahoo.com'

SOWUNMI BABATUNDE

July 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

In the part of the world in which in i come from, the issue of bedwetting at a later stage of life is not being taken lightly. It is considered a taboo and a very bad omen.We do not see it as a medical problem which can be corrected and controlled.

17. chidinma_marthins@yahoo.co.uk'

Jewel

September 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm

This is my candid advise!

* Pray about it….nothing is beyond God…nothing is too insignificant to take to him, he wants to hear you tell him about it…shows that you trust him.

* Discipline yourself…your eating habits…Eat little in the evening…if you can take your dinner say latest 7pm better.

* Try not to go to bed immediately after eating…. also try not to go to bed upset.

* lastly set an alarm with at least one hour interval.

I’m just seeing this but i want to believe with all these comments….there should be positive improvement..Don’t give up there…I’m a living testimony of God’s faithfulness.

18. wlamb2789@roadrunner.com'

William

September 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Ogechi,
    I know exactly how you feel. I’ve had the same problem. It does affect your confidence and your self esteem but you are a beautiful woman inside and out and just because you have this problem it doesn’t change who you are. Just ask the LORD to help you to overcome this and if HE chooses not to HE will help you to bear it.

19. isurupc_heis1@yahoo.com'

Julia veronique

October 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

I like to pee on bed. I often go to the bed with a full bladder. When i wake up, its a great fun to feel a wet surround on my bedsheet. You also can try it. I call it ‘choo’ ….

20. Joelmaloney@live.com.au'

Joel

May 24, 2016 at 6:43 am

I know exactly how you feel darling I have the same problem of wetting my bed and I just turned 28. My bedwetting started when I was 17 and has been an ever present threat ever since. I’ve wet while sharing my bed with my girlfriend, when staying at friends and family (everyone knows I’m a bedwetter) even my housemates because I’m doing laundry every other day. I’ve tried drugs, I’ve tried the alarm, restricting fluids, waking up in the night, wearing pull ups but nothing has worked. Regardless I continue to wet my bed at least once or twice a week. It’s very difficult to date for obvious reasons. Sometimes I wish I could meet another bedwetter so it would be a level field, but there’s no dating site called bedwetters are us. Good luck I hope things improve for you. If not, maybe come visit Australia and we can get to know each other haha