Everyday Living

The Swindler Who Changed My Life This Year

swindler

Marketing is one of the things I dread doing, so when i was transferred to the marketing department in my organization last March i almost had an emotional wreck.  I attended to customers without showing them an atom of empathy. “For peace sakes, can’t any one see I’m not enjoying this?” I thought.

As far as I was concerned, life was being unfair to me until a day one customer walked up to me and told me he had an issue. He said he needed to open an account but didn’t have a dime on him and he needed to have an account in order for him to get some money he was expecting. At that point in time, all I had on me was just the amount of money he requested for. He promised to pay me back the moment he got the money he was expecting . He succeeded in persuading me and  I eventually opened his account with my money and did the necessary documentations.

Three days later, I called the customer and at the sound of the recorded voice message saying his   line was not available, my hands began to tremble. “I’ve been swindled” I cried. “How could I have been so cheap” I asked myself bewildered. Weeks later, I kept trying his phone number but got no encouraging response. I felt robbed, stupid and had an extra reason not to be happy about my department. I decided to forget about the money and try to manage myself till I got some money for my welfare.

One afternoon, I was in the office when  he walked towards me smiling. ” There is nothing to smile about” I said to myself. He had tarnished his own reputation before me and I was going to have a long lasting impression of him.

He greeted me and being the calm person that I am, I politely responded to his greetings. He thanked me for my kind gesture the last time we met and I told him it was nothing, of course I lied.

He introduced himself as the project manager of a Non Government Organisation and told me he had been a customer of my bank long before he met me. That made me a bit surprised because I didn’t quite understand where his story was headed. He said he overheard me talking to someone about getting a job in an NGO to serve humanity and wanted to test my level of empathy. I was dazed.

Before I could even pull myself together, He handed over to me, a job offer letter.  Shortly after that, I tendered my resignation letter and began working in the NGO and I have never been happier.

Now I ask myself, what if I hadn’t been transferred to Marketing? What if I hadn’t given the customer that money? There is a reason for everything.

Writer – Cynthia Igoche

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, and Instagram – woman.ng for more updates.

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know needs it. Use the buttons below.

1. ogo.okonji@gmail.com'

Ogochukwu

December 6, 2010 at 9:08 am

Wow! Sounds like a work of fiction….but i know its real.

I’m so happy for you Cynthia. Reminds me of the scripture that encourages us to be nice to strangers as some have entertained angels in disguise.

2. bolajuwon2002@yahoo.com'

ayobola

December 7, 2010 at 9:41 am

this is really good.

3. bj4shortus@yahoo.com'

bolaji oguntimehin

December 7, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Thats wonderful!it was just God’s work

4. xrisfash@googlemail.com'

christie fash

December 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I would have done the same dear. I believe God just wanted to show you it doesn’t really matter where you are at, but your reactions and responses to situation matters.

5. bukolasodeinde@gmail.com'

Tope Fadeyi

December 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Wow! What can I say. It sure pays to be kind even when it seems you won’t get a pay back.

6. reachoppy@yahoo.com'

ope

December 7, 2010 at 6:11 pm

while d act of kindness may be referred to as stupid, it was a extremely risky thing to do!! However, i think it becomes essential, in line wit ogochukwu’s tots to keep hoping dt if its a ‘stupid, risky’ act dt wil entertain d ‘angel’, then so shall it be in one’s actions and nt d brain comin to dictate odawise!!

7. getolubunmi@yahoo.com'

Boomie

December 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

….all things work together for good to those that love God and are called according to his purpose.

8. yomi_adu@yahoo.com'

Yomi

December 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

wow! this is mind blowing…someone like me woulda pasted his picture somewhere in the banking hall and tagged him WANTED lolz… i guess i just learnt something.

9. femieoke@gmail.com'

Femi Canada

December 8, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Imagine having dat kin juju wey go open ya eyes to the kin person wey siddon for your front!!!

10. gbemisoso@yahoo.com'

gbemi

December 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Wow! God has his ways. Congrats! Thank God his line didn’t go thru…

11. re_thots@yahoo.com'

rethots

December 9, 2010 at 10:28 am

Even when it hurts (or does not seem rational), sometimes when our hearts (instincts/ intuition) pushes us to do it; we shold simply indulge.

12. tittlope56@yahoo.com'

Femi

December 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Interesting!!!

13. chidinma_marthins@yahoo.co.uk'

Jewel

December 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm

hum….this is so touching….we can not always tell who is watching

14. arewa81@yahoo.com'

omo'ba adeteju atanda-ajimotokan

December 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm

nice one
    lessons learnt
    thanks for sharing!!!

15. tabithani@yahoo.com'

kemi lawani

December 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm

that was a brave thing you did. lesson, be true to your deepest principles and instincts, wherever you are.

16. tabithani@yahoo.com'

kemi lawani

December 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm

that was a brave thing you did. lesson learned: be true to your deepest principles and instincts wherever you are

17. chiomachuka@yahoo.com'

Fairy Godsister

December 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing! Sisters let’s sha remain wrapped by God’s leading and our instincts o! So that you don’t become a walking ‘World Bank’, especially for the wrong reasons!

18. nneky_sifo@yahoo.com'

Nneka

December 28, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Oh my! Wonderful and brief article! I can’t even say I would have done the same frankly 🙁

19. omotomi@yahoo.com'

wumi

January 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I just love this piece.

20. ebi_patience@yahoo.com'

Ebi

November 3, 2015 at 6:40 am

Comment *wow!!! This is so inspiring.

21. ngozi.nwali@yahoo.com'

Ngozi paschaline

November 3, 2015 at 7:15 am

Am nt sure wot i’d’v done if i were u in dt situation buh tnk God his grace guided ur impulse to b kind even wen u hate d department u wrk in….its nt easy to giv all u av as charity buh d rewards are alws worth it. I pray dt God wil guide me to alws c him in strangers jst lik u did. Cngrts on ur new job.

22. Pingback: Dethroned Miss Nollywood Culture and Tourism Releases Tell-All Statement On What Really Happened – Woman.NG