Relationships

A Friend In Need Is NOT Always A Friend Indeed – My Personal Experience

friends

We are all familiar with two types of friends:

1. The friend who stays with you in good times and bad times.
2. The friend who stays with you in good times and runs away in bad times.

Well, there is a third one – the friend who stays with you in bad times but will run away in good times. Strange? Yes it is.

I have a friend who goes shopping for people having a hard time, she gets really close to them, send them texts and calls them morning, noon and night to encourage them and offer to help them in any way she can. All these sound great right? Well, the sad thing is that the moment things start working out for you, she will disappear. She will even discourage you from making decisions that will help you get out of that situation.

We became really close when I lost my job a while ago, she was always coming around with groceries, and she encouraged me to share my burden with her, I thought she was around to be my friend, but every time I talked about going for an interview or doing things to help me get a job, she turned cold or changed the subject.

The day I told her I got a job, she didn’t even say congratulations; she was so angry and started giving me reasons why I shouldn’t take another job so soon. She stopped calling and stopped picking my calls after I resumed work, I felt really hurt because I thought we had developed a good friendship.

I am not the only one that has experienced this from her, almost everyone in our circle of friends have their own story of how she broke up with them after their situations changed from bad to good.

She has a new friend now, a woman who just got separated from her cheating husband, but we all know what will happen when this woman decides to move on.

She loves her friends to be in a perpetual state of  failure,  and  she can’t stand it when they eventually succeed.

How do you deal with a friend like that?

Writer – Anonymous

1. yzharkahyel@yahoo.com'

Zharkahyel

March 16, 2013 at 3:05 pm

When it comes to good things don’t i won’t seek advice from. But she wil always be a friend.

2. onepageafrica@gmail.com'

debby baro

April 16, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Different people have different reasons for ‘friendship’. For any one who believes they are only going to be fiends for sympathy sake, then they leave so much soured taste in the mouth. True friendship will always remain, no mather the condition.

3. adekanbi_a@yahoo.com'

Dee

March 8, 2014 at 8:51 am

Some are not friends they are just obssessed with themselves by being friends to u.when i was in schl i use to have a friend whom i later realise we were friends cos cos she needs to do better.i realise when i get better academically she feels left out and gets angry for not getting help to do better the worst thing was i wasnt obssesed with myself like her.whether she did better or not,shes neither a great helper neither do i see a reason to bother her all the time for my own inadequancies.yet i didnt knw she stereotype herself to do better.the day she got mad i told her what if we find out other things she got from ppl she scold dat i knw she wud have being screwd if she didnt get dat help from them and she failed to analyze and this ppl dnt count on such things neither do they even remember.the point is when u see yourself as a saviour or greater u will definitely forget who is saving u or better than u in other areas.its called pride and its stupidity and self centred behaviour.cos a real friend somehow may feel attached to you in a healthy way.

4. adeyemisiheg@yahoo.com'

Olivia

November 30, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Enemy of progress type of friend

• suchinwiwu@yahoo.com'

Sopuruchi Nwiwu

November 30, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Well well,this sounds like my story! I used to have a friend like that, taking care of me when am ill,offering me cooked meals when am too busy or too stressed to cook and consoling me when I had a painful break up…all the while enjoying every bit of it. Well, things changed, I moved on, started my postgraduate studies, got into a new relationship and she changed. Tried to talk me out of the relationship but couldn’t succeed.I ditched her. And now,am happier and I feel so much better without all that jealousy and selfishness of my so called friend

5. adeyemisiheg@yahoo.com'

Oluwaseyi

November 30, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Such friend is not worth keeping at all.