Everyday Living

How Your Generator May Be Harming Your Child



If you live in Nigeria or any other country where there is rarely electricity, then you understand how important it is to have one or more generators to power your house and business. While it provides a way out of darkness, a petrol powered generator  can also cause heavy harm to you and your family in many ways. One of the most common is the harm caused by the carbon monoxide that comes out of these generators. Here is a more detailed explanation from Childrens colorado and Barc electric;

Unfortunately, the symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu and may not be top of mind for parents when their children show these symptoms. Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of CO. They are more susceptible to carbon monoxide and may experience symptoms sooner than a healthy adult. Due to their smaller bodies, children may be more severely affected by carbon monoxide in their blood. Regardless of who is affected by CO, the treatment is the same – oxygen therapy to treat symptoms and to lower carbon monoxide levels in the blood, or the use of a full-body hyperbaric chamber that applies air pressure to remove the carbon monoxide faster.

For those who survive a carbon monoxide poisoning, the long-term effects can include memory loss, impaired motor skills and heart and lung problems. Often times, they deal with the CO injury for the rest of their lives.

Many carbon monoxide poisonings can be easily prevented by:

Installation Of CO Alarm – With the installation of a carbon monoxide alarm, the only safe way to detect CO, injuries and fatalities related to CO poisonings can be dramatically reduced.  A CO alarm in the home can give families a sufficient warning when concentrations of carbon monoxide reach dangerous levels.  It is estimated that CO alarms may prevent half of such related deaths from occurring.

Keeping Generators Outside – The farther the generator is from your house the safer it is for you and your children. When using a generator, be sure to locate it outside so that poisonous carbon monoxide gas is exhausted. Never operate a generator in an enclosed building, especially in a building attached to a dwelling. Make certain, too, that the generator has enough air to breathe and that its exhaust is vented properly. Fumes from burnt fuel can be deadly. Always insure proper ventilation, and air flow around the generator.

If you like this post, share it! Someone you know wants to read it. Use the buttons below.

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, Instagram – woman.ng and BBM Channel – C001CCEFD for more updates.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. onepageafrica@gmail.com'

    debby baro

    January 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm

    Good piece! It’s a pity that many families have loved loved ones to this problem associated with CO emmission from power generating sets, yet PHCN still holds on to power.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Woman.NG creates, aggregates and curates inspiring, informative, and entertaining content for women, across multiple platforms. We are the first and the most robust online media with a focus on Nigerian women. We have published thousands of articles and posts on our website and a lot more across other platforms and reached millions of people.

For Adverts & Enquiries:

Email: info@woman.ng

Copyright © 2015 Woman.NG. Designed by Soft Runner

To Top