Profiles

“If Feminism Is What Women on Social Media Portray It to Be, Then, I Don’t Want To Be Associated With It” – Marilyn Oma Anona

oma

Marilyn Oma Anona is the Managing Director of the Alpha Gamma Multimedia Ltd. She is also the host and producer of The Oma Living Show, which talks about instilling good values in youths.

In this interview with Sola Abe for Woman.ng, Marilyn talks about herself and her career.

Marilyn Oma Anona

My name is Marilyn Oma Anona. I am the talkshow host and producer of Your phenomenal TV talkshow/live show, the Oma Living Show. I am the Managing Director of the Alpha Gamma multimedia Ltd, a multimedia company in Abuja. I am the first child of my parents. I am from Abagana, Anambra state.

My core value is love. Amongst the values I treasure and hold so highly are integrity, loyalty, faithfulness and hardwork. I graduated from the Anambra State Univeristy and I have had several other trainings that helped to shape me into the person that I am today.

Considering what I studied in the university, I should be in the hospital, but I decided to go this path because this is actually my calling even though at the initial stage it wasn’t easy but with persistence and being strong-willed, I was able to convince the people around me that this is what I want to do.

I am so much concerned with humans and believes that the society would be a lot better if the people that make up the society become what they were created to be.

Oma Living Show

The Oma Living show is a phenomenal talk show and our chief aim is to inspire the uninspired. It is in a bid to change the society by first changing the individuals that make up the society that the Oma Living Show came into existence. Oma Living Show believes that we should be the change we want to see and in order to achieve this, individuals, particularly youths need to discover who they are. The major theme of the show is self-discovery. Amongst others are inculcation of values, living a positive life and succeding in them, curbing nagging issues.

The show focuses on the youth because they are the bulk of the population at any point in time and they are the people whose lives are evolving at a very fast rate. So corrective, directive and inspirational measures to make them be the best they can will always go a long way to make our society be a better place for all of us.

The unique thing about the Oma Living Show is we are not just concerned about the glamour, we want to make real impact and that is why we go beyond the TV.

Recently, we launched a live TV show called Business and Family lifeline, this show is aimed at young people to be able to reach their relationship and career goals.

Impact Of Oma Living Show

The Oma Living Show has made a lot of impact. The youths in the city of Abuja can attest. We’ve been able to do a lot of programmes and given out scholarships to a lot of people through our Right Stage Project. The Oma Living Show has organised a lot of matches and seminars against the societal vices, domestic violence, rape, drug abuse and so many other things. We’ve been able to organise a talent contest for the youths, recognized a lot of youths that are doing well in the society.

Every topic and event we organise is aimed at something and at the end, we have ways to know if we have done well or not.

The Right Stage

We are aware that not all who fit into our target audience have access to TV, so the right stage is an arm of the Oma Living Show that caters for such people.

The Right Stage is about children, teenagers and youths who are in the public schools across Nigeria, and then we incorporated the less privileged, vulnerable children, school dropouts, and vulnerable women.

If we really want to touch the society we must reach these set of people as they lack the information and the resources to grow are not there which is a problem.

So far, we have been to three states and reached more than 50 schools. We have been to IDP camps and we still do a follow-up. The Right Stage Project is about physically meeting the needs of our target audience.

Feminism

I am not a feminist, I am a realist. I’m a humanist. I believe that everyone should be treated right, not minding their gender. Feminism says its fighting for equal economic, social, political rights for women. As far as I know no woman from my place has been held back from doing what she wants to do because she is a woman but if this is the real definition of feminism, there is no problem with that.

However, I find it hard to contend with the fact that a lot of modern day women have translated feminism to mean bitterness, either by their statements, body languages, or attitudes.

If  feminism is what women on social media portray it to be, then, I don’t want to be associated with it.

My role model, Chimamanda Adichie is a feminist and I know she is one who believes in relationships, love and respect for her husband. We all know her level of achievement and it hasn’t stopped her from being a woman. That is the kind of feminist that if at all I would want to be. But in all, I just want to work towards making humans better, either man or woman because if we concentrate on the women and leave the men out of it, women will constantly have problems and vice versa.

Everything has to be balanced for life to go on properly. Men and women can never be equal, it doesn’t mean that one is above the other but things that are not the same can never be equal. I think we should all concentrate on our biological and natural gender roles.

We should all strive to be the best when it comes to these roles and every other thing should be a bonus. I don’t want to be a man, I love being a woman and I know it cant stop me from attaining any level of success.

Bond With Father

Everyone knows there is this natural bond between the first daughter and her father, but I think mine goes way beyond that. He is the one person that knows when I am down even when I try to pretend. He has influenced me in a lot of ways, particularly in the aspect of optimism, holding on strong no matter whats comes my way, and being hardworking. My eloquence is from him and most of the natural gifts and ability that I have are from him; talk about writing, public speaking, acting and lots more.

1. Modupe Oni

Modupe Oni

October 11, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Right

2. Vicky Deni Faleye

Vicky Deni Faleye

October 11, 2016 at 12:54 pm

You get sense. I thought it’s just me that thinks the same

3. Mfon Umoh

Mfon Umoh

October 11, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Gbam!

4. Aniee Dick

Aniee Dick

October 11, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Much agreed.

5. sheke@gmail.com'

Sheke

October 11, 2016 at 3:58 pm

What a high level of ignorance and selfishness. No woman from your place huh?

How about the Northern girl married off at 8, the Igbo girl child who still can’t inherit her Father’s property? The Calabar women who were banished for having twins? And I could go on and on. Women like you make me purely sad. Shame on you.

6. Chinyere Ezenwa

Chinyere Ezenwa

October 11, 2016 at 6:32 pm

True talk dear

7. anonachisom@yahoo.com'

viv

October 11, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Very great interview. Your reasoning pattern is worthy of emulation. Keep it up. You are a role model.

8. Uzoma Akabike

Uzoma Akabike

October 11, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Way to go Ogo Marilyn OmaAfrica Anona….weldone

9. Zara Ekeni

Zara Ekeni

October 12, 2016 at 12:14 am

Well said

10. Marilyn4westlife@yahoo.com'

Kingsley

October 12, 2016 at 9:42 am

Wow see our Marilyn. Strong woman, Great personality, beautiful in every sense of the word, a precious jewel, a diamond, a caring soul, a real woman, genuine soul, heart of gold. All these accolades. Keep doing what you are doing girl. You are a blessing to this generation and God will crown you mightily. Great interview. Keep being you. You have a superior sense of reasoning and you practice what you preach. May God bless you with the best man who will further help to harness all the potentials in you. We love OMA.

11. Chikeumeh@gmail.com'

Chike

October 12, 2016 at 10:35 am

The world will hear of you. Don’t stop doing what you are doing. There are just few women like you out there, please keep being a role model and a source of inspiration.

12. Uzomaada@yahoo.com'

Adaugo

October 12, 2016 at 10:40 am

I remember our days in FGGC Ibusa, you were one of the most intelligent in your set and in further maths class. You were the softest senior. You never punished or screamed at anyone. The day you were leaving, almost all juniors were crying. You were a crying senior too and your eloquence was outstanding. I am not surprised at the woman you have grown to become. We are proud of you Marilyn. May God give you more grace and may you remain humble too. This is just the beginning. By the way, I hope you no longer cry.

13. Greatman12@yahoo.com'

Alex

October 12, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Keep it up Oma, The Lord will elevate you. Hardwork pays.

14. Beke-ere Warri

Beke-ere Warri

October 12, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Well said

15. Ada Natasha Ohaegbulem

Ada Natasha Ohaegbulem

October 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Well said I think this feminism thing is taking another level, Chimamanda and her whole feminism thing I don’t understand ooo biko let her take a break cos she is confusing lot of female. Thank u ma for being real

16. Kenoviatzu@yahoo.com'

Ken

October 13, 2016 at 9:01 am

You are always yourself at anytime. Nice interview and thanks for always seeking balance. God bless you Marilyn.

17. kevwe@gmail.com'

Oghenekevwe

October 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

You may not know this but you make FGGC IBUSA proud. Keep it up Ogo.