News

A White Man Tried To Explain Racism To Chimamanda Adichie, We Will Never Forget What She Said To Him!

news

Friday’s BBC Newsnight programme hosted Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Robert Emmett Tyrrell, editor-in-chief of The American Spectator to discuss President-elect,  Donald Trump.

While they were talking about the influence Donald Trump’s presidency may have on racism, Robert Tyrrell who is a Trump supporter claimed Trump hasn’t been racist.

Chimamanda Adichie cuts in and said;

“I’m sorry but… if you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is, you really don’t.

“You don’t get to sit there and say he hasn’t been racist when he objectively has.

“And it’s not about your opinion. Racism is an objective reality and Donald Trump has inhabited that reality.”

Watch full video below

1. Stella Makieze Oboro

Stella Makieze Oboro

November 13, 2016 at 9:29 am

She said “As a white man, he wouldn’t know what Racism is”. In as much as agree with some of her points, she comes across as extremely Controversial, and a bit Narcissistic like “If its not my word, then keep quiet I won’t listen to it”..that’s why I wonder, she’s supporting Hillary, why? Because she is a woman? What has Hillary done for Blacks before she began campaigning? She picked up the “BLM” the moment she wanted Blacks to vote. Trump is an idiot but Hillary is no better. Politics isn’t black and White, Hillary isn’t a squeaky clean saint while Trump is a sinner, Feminism doesn’t mean you get to support evil.

Adeola Adekanbi

November 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

WHAT HAS HILLARY DONE BEFORE CAMPAIGNING? WAS SHE EVER GIVEN A CHANCE?DO YOU NEED ANALYSIS? THEN GO ON AND RESEARCH.I HAVE SEEN MALE FOLKS WHO TOLD ME THEY WILL NEVER CHOOSE HILLARY CAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN I WAS SHOCKED SOME PEOPLE DON’T TRY TO HIDE THIS SEXIST BEHAVIOUR AND THAT’S A PROBLEM OF JURISDICTION WITH THEM AND THAT’S NASTY AS HELL .HERE YOU ARE SUPPRESSING YOUR FEMALE KIND.REAL PEOPLE EITHER BLACK OR WHITE , MALE OR FEMALE WANTS A LEADER THAT WILL STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS AND I HAVE SEEN THIS REAL PEOPLE WANT HIILARY AS WELL.IF HILLARY REPRESENTS EVERYTHING IN HUMAN RIGHTS THEN RACISM ,SEXISM, AND OTHER FORMS OF OPPRESSION CAN GO TO BLAZES.I THINK YOU WERE JUST BEING CRITICAL OF HER.THE WORLD IS FULL OF IMBALANCE AND SO MANY THINGS ARE WRONG.TRUMP USED BAD TACTICS LIKE POLITICIANS DO TO WIN ELECTION FOR THE DUMMIES LIKE HE DESCRIBED THEM,YET IT IS A BAD VIBE ON THE MENTALITY OF NATION IT SHOWS WHAT THAT COUNTRY HAS DETERIORATED INTO.NO ONE IS ASKING ANYONE TO FALL IN LOVE WITH ANY POLITICIAN BUT YOUR PROPAGANDA WILL HELP THE NATION DECIDE IF THEY WANT YOU EVEN IF YOU SHARE FREE SWEETS AROUND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD .GOSH!GET OUT OF YOUR STEREOTYPE ZONE TOO!

Stella Makieze Oboro

November 13, 2016 at 9:58 am

She was the Sec. Gen for 4yrs, Blacks have been killed by Police Brutality, Did she stand up for any of them? Like I said, What has she done? You’re repeating my reasons I’ve already stated, because she is a woman, Last I checked so was Jill Stein, I don’t see you all fighting to Support her either, and I’m not in support of Trump. What Rights of Hillary? The right to kill people in Benghazi? then get rid of the Soldiers killing? puleese!! I was in support of Neutral (Either Gary or Jill) but Hillary supporters make me laugh, she’s a Typical Nigerian politician, they remember the people when they want something, after that its Bye Bye.

Adeola Adekanbi

November 13, 2016 at 10:42 am

I BET YOU ARE WRONG AND I HAVE SEEN YOUR FINDINGS .WHEN I SAW THE WORD WOMAN IN YOUR POST I DISCOVERED YOUR STEREOTYPING OF PEOPLE WHO STAND UP FOR WOMAN RIGHTS AND THAT’S A COOL THING FOR THEM TO DO JUST LIKE ANY OTHER HUMANS RIGHT.ANYONE CAN CONTEST FOR THAT ELECTION INSTEAD OF YOU SAYING ” IS IT BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN?AM NOT SURE YOU SURE YOU CAN REALLY DISCERN WHY PEOPLE ARGUE ON POLITICS.THE WHOLE THING IS ABOUT HUMANS RIGHTS AND THE ARGUMENT WAS ABOUT RACISM.I DON’T AGREE WITH YOU ONE BIT BECAUSE I READ TOPIC. I AM NOT ADDRESSING THIS TWO FELLOW RIGHT NOW, AM ADDRESSING YOUR POST FOR STEREOTYPING.PLEASE STAY ON THE TOPIC YOU DIGRESSED IT YOURSELF.

Treasure Dasu Jos Bazuaye

November 13, 2016 at 11:13 am

Stella Makieze Oboro abeg rest nor dey follow her argue again,u’ve made ur point dear

Maureen Ifeanyi

November 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Isn’t Hillary WHITE as well?u really digressed from the issue.

2. Nnennaya Ruth Ijoma

Nnennaya Ruth Ijoma

November 13, 2016 at 10:21 am

In this discussion, she raised valid points and made a strong case. The other guy was just everywhere and rambling. What’s the relationship between KKK and knights of Columbus? Is the latter a white supremacist group?

Adeola Adekanbi

November 13, 2016 at 11:36 am

The sad thing about racism is that the sting doesn’t go away easily. This country has being dealing with this issue for donkey years.People are just eager for someone who will defend their rights.i watched the video.Many other countries are dealing with racism but US is more open about it.People who have siblings and so on over there they would call during the election saying they are feeling worried if trump should win then .lol.you will think it is funny.no one wants to be deported .This is just a country that has faced a lot of challenges.No one is a saviour but they need a leader will represent them not too much to ask for.People complained about Obama too but they had good record about him as well,it wasn’t even easy getting black president either.While some countries are struggling over development this ones are not finding it easy with racial rights.it’s a whole lot of trouble.

3. Sparkles Angel-Eyes

Sparkles Angel-Eyes

November 13, 2016 at 10:32 am

She should be careful! They are luring her gradually to the fold

4. Maureen Ifeanyi

Maureen Ifeanyi

November 13, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Chimamanda made good points;Trump continuously made racist comments and never felt sorry for those comments!He called Mexicans prostitutes,thieves and made derogatory remarks about African Americans including Nigerians and Muslims residing in America!

5. Eden Udemgba

Eden Udemgba

November 13, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Valid points that racism should not be evaluated based on sentiments, emotions, political preferences or feigned delusion. Lucid arguments against institutionalized privilege.

BUT I’ll be careful about the increasing assumption that only a particular race should understand, appreciate or even speak to racism. It’s a stereotype that can colour the very principles the civil rights movement fought to abolish: stereotypical assertions & bandwagon beliefs. A ‘white’ can speak to, speak about and even understand racism, as much as a ‘black’, Hispanic or minority.

Racism has more to do with a set of beliefs, prejudices and entitlements. It is a learned negative behaviour that is not genetically inherited. Therefore, it can be unlearned, and like anything that is environmentally acquired, it is not exclusive to a particular race. Even though sadly, certain races have been the victims of it more than the others.

6. yemi_ybc@yahoo.com'

Yemi Bajo

November 14, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Racism does not not exist. It only exists in the minds of those who chose to believe in it. Even if Trump is that which you call him, Don’t you think you make him more of that which you call him??, by calling him more of it?.
    Please be wise. You are what you think.
    If people approached this matter this way, they only create more of it.

“I was once asked why I don’t participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I’ll be there.” – Mother Teresa