Opinions

Don’t Judge Me But This is Why I Don’t Go To Church Anymore

praying

It’s been a few months now and I haven’t been to church. Before, I would wake up to leave early to make the first service so I could get back before the parking lot is full and the traffic builds up. I used to enjoy our small and growing church till we grew overnight and became a megachurch.

It was great to see so many people come out but I gradually lost interest as there was no longer a personal touch.Even when we were asked to say hello to the person sitting beside us, it was no longer as warm as we held back our genuine selves from each other. It began to feel like attending a concert every Sunday.

The Messages Are More About Money – When did the church become a business school sharing secrets about wealth creation and keys to success? There’s so much emphasis on giving above and beyond what you earn by faith. Even the so-called harvest celebration is a time to show off who had broughtso much. I was surprised when someone told me he recently started a church and things aren’t ‘really moving’ just to confirm some hidden motives.

There’s A Lot Of Entertainment – You can’t just wear anything to church, from the pulpit to the pew, the clothes, shoes and jewellery are unmatched as if there was a competition going on. If the have-nots came to church, they would stand out or overlooked. After the service is over, you can see in a distance lots of people spending another half an hour doing nothing else but trying to take the perfect selfie.

The Gospel Is Hardly Preached – we are supposed to be Christians pointing men and women to Jesus so lives can be changed. We have become so religious but not godly, are you surprised there are so many churches but few righteous people that you can vouch for? When the undiluted message of the gospel isn’t preached, we act pious in our Sunday best but are something else the rest of the week.

There’s Lots Of Unnecessary Activities – the primary reason of having church was for prayer, worship, bible study and reaching out to the lost but we have now turned in to a venue for garage sales, family fun day and business networking conferences. We never seem to have time to do the core activities but we always seem to have time for other things that have monetary value.

Increased Security Presence – if the church isn’t safe anymore then where else can one go to? With so many special people being ‘protected’, it makes the rest of us unsafe and exposed. We profess to have so much faith in God but refuse to leave behind all our security gadgets that trail us right to our pews. One wonders why the security personnel who don’t get to listen to the message have more faith in their profession than we who should know better.

Our Magnificent Cathedrals Have Failed To Pull In The Down And Out – many of the paraphernalia the church is known for these days isn’t purpose built for the less privileged and outcast in the society. We’ve been blinded by the synchronised lighting and sonorous choristers that we fail to reach out to those we really should go after. We only remember the down and out at Christmas with a few handouts and pay so much to the TV stations to show all that to the world.

I’m on the lookout for a smaller church with real people who truly fear God and have only one purpose to fulfil the Great Commission, in the meantime, I’ll be home lying in on Sundays enjoying the quiet reading my Bible alone or enjoying some worship music on YouTube.

1. nenehmakun@gmail.com'

Neneh

November 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

“I’m on the lookout for a smaller church with real people who truly fear God and have only one purpose to fulfil the Great Commission…” Come to Church4Real

2. tessadoghor@gmail.com'

Tessa Doghor

November 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

Find a church that believes in the Lord Jesus and fellowship
    You shouldn’t be away from church.

What you want to do is not advisable. It’s all good but God would love you to attend church on Sunday.

You might think that I am brainwashed and that is why I spew all of this stuff. In my feelings, I want to do exactly what you are doing but God has been too faithful to me. If ever any mistakes/bad things have happened, it has only been the fault of man and the fleshy things we do.

I hate the flash of the mega church. with my correct eye I would never go there, I am a quiet person and I live a quiet life and I am not even interested in all the flash, never will be. I am born again and Holy Ghost filled and because of that I will always be associated with the church, not the building but the bride of Christ, the ones who show up physically in church but are recognized in heaven.

Because of that, I will always be in church, a church anywhere, it doesn’t have to be a particular church but I need to be planted always somewhere that pleased the LORD and agrees with my human spirit.

The irritation you feel at the way things are done is from your spirit. You just need to be certain that someone has not offended you and that is the reason you leave. Find a place where the Holy Ghost is pleased for you to worship and stay there. Get your circle of faith, people who believe the same things as you and fear God more than man.

Then serve the LORD and build God’s kingdom. There will never be a perfect place because satan sows his tares too but I believe that the Holy Ghost is in you and because of that, a greater than whatever is outside you is inside you. Get up, arise and shine for Jesus because His glory is risen upon you.

3. Ngenelamah@hotmail.com'

Pastor Ng

November 4, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Hi sis! Your sentiments are so true of Church today but not specifically tied to large Churches. Even small Churches can fall into the traps of money talk, lack of true gospel, too many activities, use of security 💪🏼😀, and too much 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽entertainment. It’s about the focus projected from the leadership…
    That being said, small Churches are fun – we’re close, get to fellowship some more and aah, the refreshments go round…But you can’t stop God from growing a body of believers.
    What I’ve seen work for large Churches is the use of small group fellowships to ensure that people connect and needs are met.
    But then, one cannot stay home, backslide and go to hell Bc the Church has grown large and it doesn’t fit the person’s connection style. I say, be led of the Holy Spirit and find what will help you grow and make heaven…
    At the end of the day, each individual, not the whole Church, not with the pastor by your side, not with the friends you recognize and hug, but you alone, will have to stand before the Great One….
    Cheers!

4. joriatare@gmail.com'

Jonathan Oriatare

November 5, 2016 at 9:48 am

The responses here are quite accurate. You must guard your heart against spiritual isolation. The word admonishes us in Hebrews 10:25, not to forsake the assembly. This might sound good to you or any other person, but you must watch your heart. The devil is like the lion that seeks to cut off its prey from the herd before pouncing and devouring. If you really think you need to leave your current place of worship, you must pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit to avoid getting into offence with some other issues that might exist there. And finally you must not forget that the church, wether small or large, is not for perfect people but a place for perfecting people as can be seen in Ephesians 4:11- 16. God bless you.

5. jacobsireti@gmail.com'

Boss lady

November 15, 2016 at 9:57 am

Your points are true, very true! But the devil is a sneaky worm! He plays the isolation card well, but the spirit is at work in you. The essence of going to church is to connect with people, to join your voice in worship, to eat the bread of life with God’s chosen people and to hear the word. The constant hearing of the word strengthens our soul in times of temptation and when we get weary. No church is free from this, at all, but who knows, you might be the voice the Holy spirit is using to call all Christians back to true worship.

We are all fallible, we make mistakes, yes even our pastors and priests are fallible too! But allow the Holy Spirit to work with and in you, as well as in other Christians who have recognized these same things.

Go to church my dear, your soul needs it!

6. olly4debby01@yahoo.com'

bunmi

January 12, 2017 at 6:10 pm

My church is a small church but has been founded 35years ago, I grew up to hear the same message holyspirit, heaven,salvation true baptism of the holy spirit. You can contact me 08087551436