Outspoken

“Maje’s Name Came Up 378 Times In A 14 Chapter Book” – A Naija Girl Shares Her Blunt Opinion About Toke Makinwa’s New Book

book

After media personality, Toke Makinwa made the announcement about her book, ‘On Becoming,’ many people could not wait to read it. Even Toke’s critics wanted to know what was written in the book.

Some reports have said that the book which was launched on Sunday was bought by many as Toke was named an Amazon Bestselling author in her category on Tuesday.

We have seen many excerpts from the book, but an Instagram user, @diaryofanaijagirl, has read the book and she has given her honest review.

She said,

BOOK REVIEW

I wanted to read this book because I was curious about this lady whose hustle I really admire. I also needed to see the flow of the plot which would ultimately reveal the intention behind writing the book
I must commend Toke for putting into words clearly how her parents died and how she felt. I felt her pain too, it was clear this is an experience she often relives. I pray that God makes it easier for her to bear this grief, because it never goes away

The author of this book has gone through some really tough times. But, everyone directly or indirectly involved was stripped bare, making the book feel like a viscous comment section of a gossip blog -(Spare no details, Spare no one)

According to the prologue, “this book is not a tell all but a must tell”. I disagree. It is a TELL ALL. If it was a must tell, then she would only give absolutely RELEVANT information. But I suffered through a lot of irrelevant references that could only be in the book for one reason: To “report” Maje and his other women to the world

Hence, only ONE chapter (which was the last chapter) was dedicated to Toke’s lessons learnt, her responsibilities from the failed relationship and her advice to women on what to do if they found themselves in her situation. To be honest, I had assumed these would be the foundation of the book, coupled with her strategy in becoming a household name. I assumed wrong

Maje’s name came up 378 times in a 14 chapter book. Toke’s growing career, TWICE

How does one BECOME, only by the isolated experience of marriage? Not to trivialize the author’s marital woes, If someone like Mo Abudu wrote a book titled “On Becoming”, I am fairly certain, there’ll be more to her evolving than what she went through in a failed marriage. Perhaps I’m peeved that I bought this book, if I had waited to borrow it, maybe I wouldn’t feel the need to write things exactly as I see them

Miss Makinwa can applaud herself for writing a book as ostentatious as that of Holly Madison’s. Yes it may sell but it will never be a classic. Feeding people’s curiosity and making money from it, may have been the author’s ultimate goal anyway.
#DANG #myopinion

1. Araloyin Oluwaseun Tope

Araloyin Oluwaseun Tope

December 1, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Ode

2. adeoshunaderonke@gmail.com'

Ayaba

December 1, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Let me start by saying my comment is not to spite Toke. I know a bit about emotions and all. That said,I think she needs therapy. Loosing parents ain’t easy,replacing them with someone else is worse, then having that person mess up is worst. As the writer mentioned, I myself would have expected something more from a book titled ‘On Becoming’,but clearly the guy still occupies a central position in her life. All the best to her and everyone of us in such a tangle.

3. Seromo Omame

Seromo Omame

December 1, 2016 at 7:49 pm

The book is about her.her life, her marriage, her ex husband,her pains,her tears,her happiness.whats wrong with people hating on her…jealousy…If it’s a white woman that wrote this book “on becoming”I’m very sure the reactions will be different..Some of these haters are in worst marriage than she was and nobody has heard your story because you prefer to live with it and die in silence…leave who wants to talk about theirs to do so. .If she mentioned maje’s name 1000times he concern anybody

4. Aya Omo Oba

Aya Omo Oba

December 1, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Africa will remain Africa and it’s because of the way we view issues here that makes the continent remain underdeveloped. I am yet to see more men running down this lady on Internet but women. Whether anyone likes it or not, Toke is billed to tour the world from January to June 2017 because of this same book. I think Maje Ayida is in the best position to react to the book and not a fellow woman. #myopinion

5. Lizzy Anyira

Lizzy Anyira

December 1, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Some of you judging can’t even write an essay about yourselves because you have nothing to inspire others with. Everybody has a unique perspective of life , and how a person sees it should be respected and not criticised. Well done toke.. this is the first of many other successful books.

6. Ijeoma Okechukwu

Ijeoma Okechukwu

December 1, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Her ex is supposed to receive royalties bc he inspired half of the book. He better go for his coin bc since she want to do what the oyibos are doing she better pay him

7. Karo Itoje

Karo Itoje

December 2, 2016 at 2:07 am

What else could she have written about? She did say that she never attended class in Unilag. So learnt nothing and therefore no experience to share. And then started attending parties where she eventually met Maje who obviously became her whole world which is why the book seemed to revolve around him. Toke to me isn’t any kind of role model. She seem more like a dropout who got lucky. She actually talked about her whole life unfortunately 80% of her life revolved around Maje at least until she started getting gigs and making her own money and that was actually when she realized she didn’t need Maje anymore and like she said after the marriage she mentally zoomed out of her marriage and focused on work.

I commend her effort for writing a book especially getting it to become a best seller on Amazon. She must have done something right. But the book is nothing but a TELL ALL and honestly mostly showed the foolishness of a girl who wanted prince charming so badly that she lost all her own self worth just to get him and after she did wasn’t excited about him anymore and left him. Maje getting another woman pregnant wasn’t what broke the marriage that marriage was already broken.

Uchechukwu Cee

December 2, 2016 at 8:46 am

So right
      Days earlier I saw a post on this , I kind of felt she was after something because it was obvious , the guy wasn’t into her anymore ; yet she forced it …. After getting married she got divorced , why ???
      Why didn’t she take a walk long time ago ?? She clearly saw the signs ( we should leave all these loving so hard and finding it hard to let go )
      So why didn’t she endure all the competitions with the “other woman” after marriage . Because she was already in the game before marriage …
      She has not said what she saw in the maje guy….
      More like “KIM” to me …
      Anyway am not reading the book tho, I can only get all the full story here … I have a lot of motivational books I v not finished …

Karo Itoje

December 2, 2016 at 9:00 am

Uchechukwu Cee I haven’t read the book in full just some excerpts but it’s obviously not a motivational book. No story of how she rose from nothing to something. Just some lost girl who fell in love with someone she thought was prince charming and now making money off it. Smart I would say to.

PS. I read from another excerpt that she did eventually put her acts together and graduated from Unilag with second class lower.

8. Nnenna Ibejide Okeke

Nnenna Ibejide Okeke

December 2, 2016 at 8:54 am

Oh pls. Let her be. Its her life. Her truth.
    goan write ur own!

9. Adebayo Busayo Dauda

Adebayo Busayo Dauda

December 2, 2016 at 9:36 am

A cheater n coward like Maje are the ones who will keep judging her… when they keep playing with women’s life n emotion not minding the kind of damage they are making women go through… she has found a new path n am happy her… Go TOKE!

10. modupekayode89@gmail.com'

Gifted Light

December 2, 2016 at 10:18 am

Intelligent. I really still love Toke Makinwa.But I must agree that the Biography contained too much negative energy.It was more like writing a book ” MY FAILED MARRIAGE” instead of “ON BECOMING”.

11. Temitope Ajose

Temitope Ajose

December 2, 2016 at 11:08 am

same in all its a good book… Started reading it and it’s an eye opener!!!!