Shola's Blog

This Is My Fibroid Story Of Blood, Pain And Brokenness

Diagnosis

The pain started in 2011; I was writing my Masters dissertation, preparing for a professional exam, working two jobs and walking an average of 60 mins everyday. So, having aches in my pelvic area didn’t really look like something to be overly bothered about.

The pain did not stop after weeks of taking pain meds, and along with it came a heavy downpour of period blood. Stained cloths, stained seats, stained sheets – I left blood everywhere I went.

Diagnosis showed I had multiple fibroid growths.

The gynaecologists I saw said they didn’t see an immediate need for surgery; I was placed on medications for the pain and heavy period.

I was happy I didn’t have to go for a surgery, and that the frequent visits to the hospital had come to an end – I have a terrible fear of doctors. Every time I consult a Doctor, I tremble inside!

Living

I wondered for how long I would have to live with the pain and heavy periods and for how long I would have to keep taking the pills to live a normal life. I found some comfort in the fact that it is not a terminal illness, and braced myself for whatever was to come.

The heavy period became less frequent after some time, but the pain came really hard. I did whatever I could to live in spite of it.

There were times I would tie a scarf hard around my pelvic area – I can’t explain how, but it gave me some relief, sometimes I would massage with hot water and sometimes just finding the right position when sitting or sleeping helped.  There were times I literally stopped on the road because it felt like I was going to die if I took another step.

In 2013, I started a new job that requires back to back traveling. I was often fatigued, but I did a good job at managing the pain and keeping it from everyone except the closest people to me. I really didn’t want to be known as the girl who is always in pain.

I saw two other gynaecologists during this period and they said pretty much the same things the ones I had seen earlier said.

Pain became a part of me. Some times I stopped it, Some times it stopped me.

Remission

Sometime in  2014, the fibroids became quiet. No serious pain, no heavy periods.  I stopped worrying about them. It was like it never happened.

Degeneration

In 2016, my period started getting excruciatingly painful again, but I didn’t think it could be the fibroids. I just thought it was just being temperamental.

One day in April, I woke up with pain so bad I almost passed out. I went to the hospital, the Doctor said it was ulcer and he sent me back home with some medications, but the pain got worse.

Two days later I could not walk or stand by myself anymore, and I was back in the hospital. Then, they said they suspected Urinary Tract Infection and I was admitted.

They saw the fibroids during examinations and said they could be the source of the pain. I told them I am sure it is not the fibroids, I know how that pain feels and this is worse.

They called in a gynaecologist who did further examinations and said one of the big sized fibroids was degenerating and they may have grown bigger, and the numbers increased since the last time I did a scan.

I was on admission for about a week, and after rounds of medications, the pain subsided but never really went away. Two weeks later I was back in the hospital, and it just got worse from there.

My quality of life went downhill; I was always in pain, always fatigued.

I knew the fibroids had grown; I would lie on my back and touch one of them bulging right through.

I got to know after the surgery that a pecundulated fibroid was twisted on its stalk and may also have been responsible for the severe pains.

I struggled to sleep, I struggled to work; I struggled to concentrate on anything.

Every morning I dragged myself out of bed, put on every strength I could get to go work, and then come back home crashing.

Packs of pain meds littered everywhere, I was exhausted.

Surgery

My insurance could cover me for the surgery at the Hospital where I was treated for the degenerating fibroids, but I chose to go outside my cover to do the surgery at South Shore Women’s Clinic in Lagos.

I had been there before and I think they are great at what they do.

They did their best to answer all my questions before the surgery. I was particularly afraid about the risks of having scar tissues and adhesions after surgery.

The weeks before the surgery were particularly hard, it was like the fibroids knew their time was about to be up and wanted to give me the best of the pain they had before they were evacuated!

The pain, the fear – nights after nights of tears and exhaustion.

I eventually had an Open Myomectomy in August.

I don’t know how to describe the cocktails of emotions that ran through me going into that operating room, but regaining consciousness after anesthesia is one of the happiest moments of my life.

Many fibroids of different sizes and types were removed, my discharge notes described them as;

1. Some large subserosal pedunculated fibroids
  2. Multiple intramural fibroids
  3. Two small submucosal fibroids

Recovery

Recovery was hard. I had some good days and some very bad days.

I went back to work four weeks after surgery; I couldn’t drive until six weeks after surgery, I couldn’t travel until about seven weeks after surgery. By the eighth week I was back to almost all my normal activities.

It has been four months since the surgery, I can’t say I am back 100%, but I am in a better place.

Sharing Stories

I am so grateful for the many stories I read on forums online from women all over the world who have or have had fibroid. I decided to share mine hoping someone will find it useful too.

If there is anything I haven’t talked about but you will like to know about my fibroid story, please feel free to send me an email.

We will also be happy to publish your fibroid stories on woman.ng! There is a high rate of fibroid amongst Nigerian women; you just never know who your story will help! Please feel free to send your story to my email.

And finally, here is my favourite song of 2016!  Through the really dark times, God rained His peace on me through this song.

I particularly like to shout at the top of my voice when I sing the line “you split the sea so I could walk right through it”

Thank you for reading and sharing my posts, I wish you life, health and wealth in 2017.

===========================================

My name is Shola Okubote, I am the Founder of Woman.ng

You can reach me on shola@woman.ng and read my past articles here.

1. Faith Bernards Qiede

Faith Bernards Qiede

December 28, 2016 at 8:46 am

Its well with you, sis.

• Kikbams@yahoo.com'

Kike

December 28, 2016 at 6:07 pm

The story is almost exactly like mine, it even broken my marriage cos he doesn’t want to to go for surgery after 4yrs of bleeding n pains. But let me use the opportunity to tell people that surgery is the solution to fibroids, thr was nothing I didn’t use but was getting worse. But glory to God, I’m stl alive, I almost died

2. Olayemi Ayeni-Adenipekun

Olayemi Ayeni-Adenipekun

December 28, 2016 at 8:53 am

Its well sis

3. Favour2@yahoo.com'

Favour

December 28, 2016 at 8:55 am

Hi Shola, I am very encouraged by your fibroid story. It’s been 6 weeks I had 40 removed(12 large ones) . I am still in my recovery stage and it’s hard. Having swellings around my stomach/abdomen area. I know God is faithful and He will see Me through this. Thanks Shola

4. Victoria Nse

Victoria Nse

December 28, 2016 at 9:58 am

The GOD THAT SAW YOU THROUGH WILL DO SAME FOR ME IN JESUS NAME

5. Stella Nwagwu

Stella Nwagwu

December 28, 2016 at 10:02 am

Beautiful story. Your healing shall remain permanent, in Jesus name.

6. Chindo Chuks-Ogbu

Chindo Chuks-Ogbu

December 28, 2016 at 11:05 am

Thank you for sharing your testimony and especially this song. Brought tears to my eyes especially the part where the lady took over. She sang with so much assurance and certainty that I was reminded of Rom 8:15-16 For you didn’t receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
    16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God;

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I am glad you like the song, I love where the woman took over too! Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful scripture. Blessings!

7. Yetunde Afolabi

Yetunde Afolabi

December 28, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Your story moved me to tears,God will perfect everything concerning you. It is well!

8. Destiny Bridget

Destiny Bridget

December 28, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Oh my God, your story reminded me of my experience. On the 5th of january 2017 will complete mine one yr i went thru it. In the mist of my pains ‘n healing, My hubby to be left. But in it all, i’ve learnt to trust in Jesus. My marriage now is on pipeline…

9. Annette Laurence

Annette Laurence

December 28, 2016 at 5:44 pm

It pays to served jesus indeed!!! Mine was far from easy but thur Him i conquered it all. Jesus our hope and shield, our vry rock of ages in times of need

10. Mgbechikanma Precious Odukoya

Mgbechikanma Precious Odukoya

December 28, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much Shola, for sharing your story. I had my own surgery on the 19th of Sept…like you I started work 4weeks after surgery, and I started driving at the same time. I’m still healing though but I’m 100% back at my normal activities. Thank you for this platform to share our experiences. God’s blessings always.

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for your warm comment, Its great to know you are healing well and back to your normal activites. I wish you all the best in 2017

11. Abby Ujay Samuel

Abby Ujay Samuel

December 28, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Chi Nomso

12. Yemisi Olubi-Coker

Yemisi Olubi-Coker

December 28, 2016 at 8:38 pm

So glad ur okay and can give all the glory back to whom it belongs God!!!

13. oluwafemi.dele@gmail.com'

Femi Ayodele

December 29, 2016 at 12:38 am

I bless God for you Shola. Your healing remains permanent in Jesus name. I wish you a blissful 2017.

14. ronkepopoola@yahoo.com'

Yinka

December 29, 2016 at 7:43 am

Had fibroid operation less than a week ago and still recuperating. I wouldn’t say I can relate to your story because I felt a different kind of pain – constipation, indigestion etc. Would not mind sharing my story.

15. Elam Ushie

Elam Ushie

December 29, 2016 at 8:28 am

Is it true that after fibroid surgery conception becomes difficult?

Emmanuel Edidiong Shedrack

December 29, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Not true. We have various testimony of babies after surgery

Elam Ushie

December 29, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Thank you.

Destiny Bridget

December 30, 2016 at 6:59 am

Far from that. A church sister did child dedication recently after her surgery.

Elam Ushie

December 30, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Tnx dear, am encouraged.

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:25 pm

There are many women who have successfully conceived after fibroid surgery. If there are no complications during or after surgery, conception should not be a problem.

Elam Ushie

December 30, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Thanks ma’am.

Myke-mbata Blessing

December 31, 2016 at 11:01 am

not true but the truth is that fibroid commonly occur in women that conceived late and fertility naturally drops as females advance in age thus it looks as if fibroid or its surgery causes infertility.

16. Nancy Amon

Nancy Amon

December 29, 2016 at 9:56 am

It is well with u sis

17. Robor Bliss Oveh

Robor Bliss Oveh

December 29, 2016 at 11:32 am

DID you HAVE FERTILITY ISSUES

18. Tolulope Babajide

Tolulope Babajide

December 29, 2016 at 12:22 pm

The power of God is at work in you, Aunty Sola.

19. Udechukwu Oluchi

Udechukwu Oluchi

December 29, 2016 at 4:15 pm

So touching, thank God for your life but what could be the cause of this fibroid.

20. Charity Udoh

Charity Udoh

December 29, 2016 at 7:30 pm

And this same fibroid operation killed my best friend 2weeks ago. She was buried today. How I wish she survived it to share her own story. #sobs#😑😥

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your best friend. May her soul rest in peace and may God be your light and comfort during this time and beyond.

Charity Udoh

December 30, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Amen. Thanks Sis

21. awesomemercy@yahoo.com'

Awesome Aanuoluwapo

December 29, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Shola… Great story from you. Thank God for your life. I have a sister that is battling with fibroid for almost 15 years, did surgeries twice and they keep growing, used all manner of medications. You see, early detection is very good but what to do with it is what’s more meaningful. She will surely share her story one of these days! Best regards.

22. Akujobi Jovita Nwosu

Akujobi Jovita Nwosu

December 30, 2016 at 12:01 am

My cousin did her own surgery 2014,but it reoccur again, she still hvin pains now n afraid of hvin another surgery,pls always pray for her friends, for God to interviews on her case blc she tired of it

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:10 pm

So sorry to hear about your cousin, I pray that everything go well for her and that she will experience the joys of being healthy again.

23. Onwana Ijeoma

Onwana Ijeoma

December 30, 2016 at 7:11 am

Tnk God for saving ur life

24. Queen Esther Ekpo

Queen Esther Ekpo

December 30, 2016 at 7:50 am

Pls i need it,

25. Nneka Joel Okoli

Nneka Joel Okoli

December 30, 2016 at 11:18 am

Did the fibroids make your tummy look big ? Like yu were pregnant?

Shola Adu-Okubote

December 30, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Yes, because of the size. Women with smaller sized fibroids may not have big tummy or look pregnant.

Nneka Joel Okoli

December 30, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Mmmm…ok.

26. Nwoko Blessing

Nwoko Blessing

December 30, 2016 at 8:07 pm

D lord will help woman wit this fibroids things

27. Funmilola Abiodun

Funmilola Abiodun

December 31, 2016 at 6:06 am

I celebrate the goodness of God upon your lives. What the Lord shall be permanent ijmn. Take good care of yourself.

28. Chioma Onyema

Chioma Onyema

December 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

I went through mine on November 9th, 2014. It wasn’t painful for me but the blood loss during periods was something else. I was changing tampon and pad together on an hourly basis during periods before I finally agreed to go for the surgery. I would become anaemic during periods.

29. Oge Emmanuel

Oge Emmanuel

December 31, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Abeg we know want hear all this things again becos MMM don teach people lesson

30. Oge Emmanuel

Oge Emmanuel

December 31, 2016 at 12:26 pm

All glory to God.my dear am happy 4 u

31. chetannao@yahoo.com'

chetanna

January 6, 2017 at 5:36 pm

having fibroid at 26 was not something i saw comming, but yes i did have fibroid at the cervics, 2016 was the worst of my yrs. bleeding for 6months non stop, was anemic that i taught i would die. doctor said i need surgery cos dats the only way out… will be doing a surgery in few weeks time.. i need all the prayers i can get

32. ibidunesan@yahoo.com'

bukola

January 12, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Sis Sola, i was shocked and at the same time thankful to God for divine healing, i call it divine healing when all medical treatments work in your favor, I have been off this page throughout the festive period busy with festive things, just resuming normal life after the kids resumed and i was like woman.ng long time, and lo behold , your story. I am glad to know you are okay, all glory to Jesus who is ever faithful to be with us at all times good or bad.

its well@ Chetanna, God will perfect his healing in Jesus name.

and that song remains a strong testimony to me.

• omoyepat@yahoo.con'

Aladeloba ihinosen

January 27, 2017 at 8:37 am

Just read your story today,I give God all the glory for your life sis Sola. God will perfect all that concern you and heal all women with fibroid,in Jesus name.

33. Pingback: “The Period When I Had Fibroids Totally Ruined My Life” – Kemi Adetiba – Woman.NG

34. faniyanifeoluwa2@yahoo.com'

ifeoluwa

February 23, 2017 at 1:13 am

hi sis. thank you for sharing your story. do women who never had babies have fibroid?&is it advisable to have a surgery before having any?a quick response please…