Oats are a whole grain food commonly eaten as oatmeal. They are made by cooking in water or milk. They are highly nutritious and excellent source of carbohydrates, proteins, dietary fibers, vitamins and minerals.
Oats have many healthy benefits but some Nigerians fail to include them in their meals. Some go months without eating them some others never eat them. Below are some of the many benefits oats have.
- Oats helps to reduce cholesterol level hence reducing risk of heart disease.
- Oats help to regulate bowel movement preventing constipation.
- Oats help to lower blood sugar by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream.
- Oats is highly recommended for people trying t lose weight
- Oats makes you feel full longer hence helps you to reduce your cravings.
Oats can be prepared by adding them to a pot of boiling water. Add a bit of salt for taste. Stir continuously until soft while adding water if you find it too thick.
If you are thinking of including it to your meals, you could start by taking it alone as breakfast if you don’t eat much before you leave for work. You can dice and add any fruit of your choice.
Oats are too healthy and highly nutritious not to be eaten everyday. So trust that when you decide to start eating them daily you are making a healthy decision.