Personal Stories

Betty Irabor’s Experience With A Rude Nurse Will Teach You A Lesson About Kindness

We all want love and kindness but sometimes we don’t give the same love and kindness to other people. No matter what we are going through in our personal lives, being mean to others is simply being mean to ourselves.

Betty Irabor shared an experience she had with a nurse many years ago to encourage women to learn how to treat others with kindness.

SEE ALSO: Sola Allyson’s Note On Why She Used To Run From People Who Wanted To Help Her Will Touch Your Heart

She said,

"Is this your first pregnancy?"The nurse in green uniform asked me as she looked at the screen of the scan machine. "No, I smiled at her. I was ecstatic because I was going to be a mum a third time… Then the bombshell!!! "If this isn't your first pregnancy, then how come you didn't know there has been no heartbeat?"! "What was she saying?" I sat up straight and stared at her. Shocked! I was still processing what I thought she meant when she hit me again with; "Get up and dress up, go back to your Gynaecologist for an evacuation before you get an infection". I began to cry, I was dazed, I was traumatized by the news and the viciousness of the nurse. I took one long hateful look at her and cried all the way home. Evacuation over, I decided I wasn't going to let this matter rest. I wasn't going to allow this nurse in a so called prestigious Lagos hospital unleash her bitterness, her bile and hate on any other woman. I was afterall a journalist, so I put pen to paper and told my story to Quality mag, Classic mag and other media where I was a guest columnist. My articles generated public outrage over the nurse's conduct and the hospital had no choice but to invite me for a meeting. I was asked to describe the nurse, I did. She was summoned and we came face to face once more. Surprisingly, she did not deny any of my accusations, she simply said she was sorry. Sorry? The authorities apologized and promised to take appropriate disciplinary measures against the nurse….. It's the International Women's Day tomorrow, beyond the theme # Beboldforchange which addresses the issue of women transcending gender barriers, women must understand that they are nurturers first and foremost.. We are sometimes deliberately unkind to one another. We sometimes can't deal with the success or happiness of other women. As we join the conversations and narratives tomorrow in the pursuit of gender equality and fight against cultural biases that inhibit our growth and potential, let us remember that that change begins with how we as women see , treat and fight for other women.. change truly begins when we do!

A post shared by Betty Irabor (@bettyirabor) on

Follow us on Facebook – Woman.NG, Twitter – @WomanNG, Instagram – woman.ng and BBM Channel – C001CCEFD for more updates.

1. Fab Sus

Fab Sus

March 9, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Some nurses can be so damn rude, me i give it to them d way they giv it to me

2. Mabel Bamisile UduakAkpan

Mabel Bamisile UduakAkpan

March 9, 2017 at 6:46 pm

#myopinion Where was the Scientist that did the scan? What was The attending doctor doing? Why would it be the responsibility of the nurse to give a scan result? The last time I checked nurses don’t do ultrasound scanning. I was just surprised.

Roselyn Godwin

March 10, 2017 at 5:34 am

Its the nurse’s job to hand you results, a doctor can’t leave other patients because a nurse is rude.

Kikelomo Bamidele

March 10, 2017 at 6:23 am

Every woman in white uniform is a nurse? She might be a radiologist/ quark u don’t know…image of nurses in this country, only God can help

• Nenye E

Nenye E'yisi Nuel-Enuka

March 10, 2017 at 9:07 am

Am not surprised, a lot of things happen in Lagos. Every body scans

Adedayo Olamide

March 11, 2017 at 8:48 am

Roselyn Godwin , lemme correct a wrong notion, it’s Never a Nurse job to hand you results, NEVER in a Nurse job description or training. Please, kindly take note.

Mabel Bamisile UduakAkpan

March 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

Roselyn Godwin I beg to disagree with you. It is not the nurse’s work to give results thank you.

Tawose Tabitha Boluwatife

March 11, 2017 at 10:10 am

Mrs Roselyn Godwin are you a nurse? How come you know their job description so well? Learn from today that even if a nurse from the place you visit gives you your scan result you should call the establishment into order and for what it’s worth; knowledge is power, know your right

Tawose Tabitha Boluwatife

March 11, 2017 at 10:12 am

Kikelomo Bamidele pls help me ask them o; everyone in white isn’t a nurse! Not everyone in scrub is a nurse!! And not every ‘nurse’ in a hospital is licenced to care for you!!! Know your right, ask questions!

3. Oyindamola Georgina Akoshile

Oyindamola Georgina Akoshile

March 9, 2017 at 10:28 pm

A nurse doing scan?.I hope she’s not mistaking her for a nurse cos of her gender

4. Toyosi Priscilla Akoshile Morris-Olusola

Toyosi Priscilla Akoshile Morris-Olusola

March 10, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Nurse nurse nurse, I don’t know if they have a special training on how to be rude to people cos out of 10, 8.5 will be rude and mannerless especially the ones at the Government sector. Apologises to the few good ones.

5. Adedayo Olamide

Adedayo Olamide

March 10, 2017 at 11:04 pm

In a prestigious hospital in Lagos, a nurse will never do Scan..Never. I know all the prestigious hospital in Lagos and how they operate. She’s definitely not a Nurse

6. Tawose Tabitha Boluwatife

Tawose Tabitha Boluwatife

March 11, 2017 at 10:07 am

#myopinion
    1. When you go into a hospital most especially private even the so called prestigious one it is your right to know the qualification of the person attending to you
    2. Nurses don’t do scans; it’s the job of a radiographer or sonographer especially in the so called prestigious hospital
    3. Know your right from today; no Doctor, ‘nurse’, or anyone at that has a right to speak to you anyhow

7. Mabel Bamisile UduakAkpan

Mabel Bamisile UduakAkpan

March 11, 2017 at 10:19 am

Rudeness in the hospitals are always attributed to nursing. A person is rude because she lacks manners and not because she is a nurse. There is nothing linking both.