Not much is known about the wife of the newly elected Ondo State Governor, Mrs. Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu. But, in an interview with Mary Ekah of ThisDay, she tells us many interesting things about her background, family and plans as the First lady of Ondo State.
Here are some of the things we just got to know about her!
1. She survived breast cancer and as an act of thanksgiving she started Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria to use her experience to educate and help other women.
2. She has had a stint in politics when she contested on the platform of ANPP in Imo state for the Federal House of Representative for the Owerri Federal constituency in 2007 election but she lost.
3. She studied Zoology because her uncle studied Zoology, but today she is a Fish Farmer. She says her company has the best brand of fresh and smoked fish in Nigeria.
4. She prefers to wear jeans and t-shirt, but as a Yoruba wife she manages to wear iro and buba. Gele gives her headache.
5. Her father raised her to aim high in life and never to be limited by her gender
6. She fell in love with her husband at first sight 37 years ago, she was 25 and he was 22. She is from Imo, he is from Ondo.
7. She is in love with her husband’s grey hair!
8. She is a mother and a grandmother
On how they met she said:
It’s a long story. Actually my husband was a youth corper then in Enugu. I was also posted to Enugu. So a friend of mine visited me and then she came along with her boyfriend who also came along with my husband. That was how we met and it was love at first sight. I think people frown at love at first sight but it worked for us.
I fell in love with his broad shoulders. Then he was really looking very cute. I can still remember what he was wearing that day. I won’t forget – a red shirt, long sleeves, and jean trousers. He was really looking great and then we were very young and restless. That was like 37 years ago. He couldn’t even take me out because he didn’t have money as a youth corper. It was quite magnetic and that was it. And besides I have always said that whoever that was going to marry me must be able to sweep me off my feet completely and that was exactly what happened.
There is a three-year age difference between us. I am older than him anyway. I was like 25 then while he was 22. It was love that really endured. I had graduated and in my place when a girl graduates from the university, suitors come from left, right and centre. And your parents would expect you to go for a self-made man with everything. But I have always known that there was no way I could have married a self-made man. I will rather build a home from the scratch with you because I want to have a say in my home.
Head over to ThisDay for the full interview