#SheSaidThis

Regina Chukwu Explains The Traditional Steps She Will Have To Take If She Wants To Remarry As A Widow

Credit – instagram.com/reginachukwu

Although, she is Igbo as she is from Enugu,  Regina Chukwu is one of the well-known Yoruba actors. Regina sadly lost her husband 13 years ago, but has been doing an amazing job raising her two young children.

In an interview with DUPE AYINLA-OLASUNKANMI of  The Nation, Regina tells why she is yet to remarry

SEE ALSO: Nigerian Widows Talk About Their Struggles With Sex

She said,

Actually, it is because of them (her children)  that I decided not to remarry then. Like I said earlier, I won’t call myself a single parent, because I am Igbo; the fact that you have lost your husband does not mean that you are still not married to that family.

So as it is traditionally I am still married to my husband family; I am still their wife and if they want to do any family function, I am considered and called upon. I still belong to the community wives meeting. When my husband passed away, I was called and asked if I wanted to remarry.

The condition was for me to leave their children and go ahead. But I looked at my kids and they were still very young and I decided to stay. My children have been asking if I won’t remarry; they want a baby sister or brother. But I don’t know what God has in plan for me. I am open to whatever God is says will happen to me.

If I decide to remarry now, it means whoever I want to get married to will pay my bride price and my parents will then go back to my late husband’s family to return the bride price they paid on me. It is tradition telling them this lady is no longer your wife. But when it is not done, I still remain their wife. I still paid my Mother-in-law a visit last year.

1. Favourite Blinks

Favourite Blinks

May 28, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Gbamest!!!

2. Lucy Adesigbin

Lucy Adesigbin

May 28, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Regina Chukwu, you’re so right. That’s custom and tradition of the igboland. Is well though…

3. Pauline Joseph Adamu

Pauline Joseph Adamu

May 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Respect der

4. Olufunke Eric-Onyema

Olufunke Eric-Onyema

May 28, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Interesting!

5. Joiezd.abiodunizirein@gmail.com'

Joiezd

May 28, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Interesting¡ Am a single mother of 2 kids. My husband passed two years ago. My in laws have stopped communicating, don’t know how the kids are faring. To top it all,my late husband brother got married some few weeks back and I was not told only got to see it on Facebook. So, if God says it’s time. I must seek their permission?

6. Uwabunkeonye Doris Chinenye

Uwabunkeonye Doris Chinenye

May 28, 2017 at 5:51 pm

That’s why I respect my mum till tomorrow….
    My Mum became a widow at the age of 28….with five children
    ..but she refused to remarry just because of us….
    That’s why we all owe her alot…

7. Nwosu Chinwe

Nwosu Chinwe

May 29, 2017 at 9:48 am

I hale Igbo with respect. Long live Igbo culture and tradition.

8. Pingback: The Wife Of Late Taraba Lawmaker Says She Was Evicted By His Relatives Weeks After He Died – Woman.NG