After her experience with a wrong medication dosage, a 26-year old Georgian woman, Khalifa Shaw, is using her experience to educate people on the need to know the side-effects of drugs before taking them.
In 2014, Shaw visited a doctor to complain about some symptoms of depression and she was given an antidepressant called lamotrigine.
For the first two weeks of taking the medications, everything was fine until Shaw started having blisters all over her body and in pains.
“I was in excruciating pain. It felt like I was on fire,” she told 11 Alive.
Shaw was later diagnosed with Stevens Johnson Syndrome, a rare serious skin disorder, which is usually caused by reaction to a medication or an incorrect dosage.
Shaw said it also causes the body to burn from the inside out and the syndrome has left her skin burned and scarred. She is slowing losing her vision. Her sweat glands are gone, and her finger nails will never grow back.
Even after Shaw stopped taking the medication, and has spent five weeks in medically induced coma, she is still battling Stevens Johnson Syndrome.
Shaw may also have to live with the disease for the rest of her life as there is no cure for it. she may also have a relapse, which could be worse than before.
“I never heard of Steven Johnson Syndrome until I was in the hospital with my skin melting off of my body. That’s when I learned what it was. It’s important to know what’s in your body.”