A mother of two, Oluwaseun Folorunsho, has accused a private clinic in Lagos State, of killing her one-year-old son, Ogooluwa. She told Punch that her son died as a result of the drugs administered on him, which was meant for her four-year-old son, Imole.
On Saturday, September 22, 2018, Oluwaseun rushed her two sons to the hospital as both had cough and were vomiting. The children were admitted after they were diagnosed of malaria and an unnamed infection.
While Imole was placed on drips, Ogooluwa was reportedly given injections. But Imole’s vomiting continued and he would not eat. Their mother complained to a doctor and he said, all was well.
On Sunday, the kids were discharged and placed on drugs but before they left the hospital, Ogooluwa excreted three times. When they got home, Oluwaseun explained that she noticed that the nylon which had Ogooluwa’s name had six drugs, while the one with the elder brother’s name had four drugs.
When she asked her husband if the drugs were for Ogooluwa, he replied that the pharmacist confirmed that they were for him. She said that after giving the one-year-old the drugs, which consisted of antibiotics, oral suspension, cough syrup, among others, he excreted again, so, she gave him Oral Rehydration Therapy.
“When I noticed that the excreta did not stop, I decided to take him back to the private hospital. When I wanted to carry him, I noticed that he was not looking fine; I shouted for help. People assisted me to take him to a nearby hospital. On getting there, the person that attended to us asked what happened to the child and who gave him antibiotics. He said he was reacting to the drugs and that was why he had become pale. He said we should take him away.
“When I returned home to get clothes for Ogooluwa in order to take him back to Oak Hospital, I met his brother vomiting again. I begged people to take him to a nearby hospital, while I take Ogooluwa to Oak. When we got to Oak, the doctor that attended to us said there was no blood again in his body and that he had passed on and there was nothing they could do. When I tried to create a scene, my husband held me that what we needed to do was to save the life of the elder brother in the other hospital. The younger brother was buried that night.”
Oluwaseun, who insisted that the hospital was at fault, said she wanted justice.
However, the owner of Oak Hospital, Dr Ayodele Kalejaiye, said the death of the child was not caused by the hospital, but that the deceased was later diagnosed of food poisoning.
He said, “When I checked her records, she came in with food poisoning herself and her two children came in with cough; they were managed for cough and discharged. It was after they were discharged that they came back with food poisoning.