News

Let’s Talk About It: Will Banning Sniper Reduce The Rate Of Suicide In Nigeria?

For daily inspiration and life lessons follow our new inspiring instagram page – @dearyoungnaijawoman

2018 was filled with so many reports of suicide, many of these were carried out using a pesticide called Sniper. Following the recent death of a DJ who was reported to have drank Sniper, many people have been demanding for the ban of the deadly substance.

We are thinking, shouldn’t the focus be more on providing mental health care and counseling for people who are depressed and suicidal? If they ban Sniper, will they also ban Lagos Lagoon –  a number of people also jumped into the Lagoon last year?

Let’s talk about it, how do we reduce the rate of suicide in Nigeria this year?

1. Marge Edem

Marge Edem

January 4, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Valid question o.
    Instead of us to find how to help depressed folks so they don’t even have suicidal thoughts, we are taking away JUST ONE of the things they could use to harm themselves.

2. Ijeoma Buzor Odinigwe

Ijeoma Buzor Odinigwe

January 4, 2019 at 10:33 pm

It won’t, people will always devise means, that’s d job of d devil, very crafty, we just need to hope and pray no one ever finds them self in a suicidal state, and let’s all try to reach out to our loved ones, friends and family, it sure would go a long way😉

3. Chrisval Odey

Chrisval Odey

January 4, 2019 at 10:37 pm

The thought of suicide comes from the mind after feeling depressed,the issue of Sniper is just a method used to cross over quickly. An awareness on mental health will go a long way to heal the mind.

4. Yvonne Clearance

Yvonne Clearance

January 4, 2019 at 10:46 pm

It’s a classical case of misplaced priority

5. Asidoh Habibah

Asidoh Habibah

January 4, 2019 at 11:12 pm

We live in a Nigeria where we tend to forget/ignore wat our focus should be but instead always look for wat to blame for our predicament. 🤔😔😡

6. Orujekwe Raphael Eunice

Orujekwe Raphael Eunice

January 4, 2019 at 11:40 pm

Sniper is not only the insectiside dat can be used there are so many out there,i think we should advocate mre on creating awarness,talks and serminals bcos sucides can be achieved through different ways,

7. Balogun Omowumi Elizabeth

Balogun Omowumi Elizabeth

January 5, 2019 at 1:05 am

8. Herritt-ashley Mathew

Herritt-ashley Mathew

January 5, 2019 at 5:58 am

Nope, it will only make the suicidal persons change choice of weapons.

9. Jaynifa Jaynie

Jaynifa Jaynie

January 5, 2019 at 7:26 am

Hmmmmmn they’ll still look for a means to do what they want.
    Sniper or no sniper
    Sensitization on mental health will go a long way

Pamella A Omonye

January 5, 2019 at 7:32 am

Jaynifa Jaynie exactly..
      People were committing suicide even before sniper

Jaynifa Jaynie

January 5, 2019 at 7:34 am

Pamella A Omonye yes dear,they’ll devise a means

10. Pamella A Omonye

Pamella A Omonye

January 5, 2019 at 7:36 am

People were already committing suicide even before sniper came to d picture….there are many ways to die.rather a rehabilitation centre could help those in depression

11. Achor Joy

Achor Joy

January 5, 2019 at 7:41 am

No it will not

12. Anjoorin Oluwatomilola

Anjoorin Oluwatomilola

January 5, 2019 at 8:14 am

no, it definitely won’t!
    Sniper is not even connected at all

13. Tricia Miracle Nwudo

Tricia Miracle Nwudo

January 5, 2019 at 11:19 am

It won’t!! There are other means! Sniper isn’t the issue here but peoples mental well-being..

14. Doloro Dimoko

Doloro Dimoko

January 5, 2019 at 11:26 am

If not sniper, then it will be something else! Many people who suffered from depression could manage it without resorting to suicide as the last resort. More people became depressed with the advent of social media platforms.

15. Cassie Chukwuobasi

Cassie Chukwuobasi

January 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Banning snipper won’t reduce any shit…they will still jump lagoons, hang themselves etc the focus should be on providing mental health care and counseling for depressed candidates

16. Ibrahim Shakiro - Ogunlola

Ibrahim Shakiro - Ogunlola

January 5, 2019 at 3:15 pm

If snipper got banned, depressed people will look for another alternative. Helping depressed people would be a better option.

I’ve been depressed suicidal twice and in fact just coming out of one. My first depression was because I hated my living, no job after graduation, broken home, not meeting set goals, no relationship, spiritual health issues etc. I withdrawn from social life, cut off communications from friends and family. No one at home knew I was depressed cos I feigned smiling face at home. I had thoughts about what way to die would be best, jumping in front of a moving car? Snipper? Cutting my wrist? So many ugly thoughts. I stopped caring about wanting to live, I wanted to end the miserable life I was living. All thanks to a friend that I accidentally talked to about it and with God and him, I came outta it.

I’ve been going through PPD for a while now but those around me don’t even want to hear about it. No one to talk to, we’re lonely, we feel rejected. It’s sad and I’m even tired of crying. But I’m trying to live for my innocent baby. I pray I come out totally clean.

Love, time, attention and listening ears could help reduce or stop it.

17. Eila Davis Ihuoma

Eila Davis Ihuoma

January 5, 2019 at 10:22 pm

No it won’t. Showing love one to another is the best

18. Marvel Nguher UkeGwa

Marvel Nguher UkeGwa

January 5, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Mental health evaluation is the main thing we should focus on. This is just one among many other stuff people use to commit suicide. We also need more awareness.

19. Uyanwa Ogochukwu

Uyanwa Ogochukwu

January 5, 2019 at 11:01 pm

No….suicide is a mindset..they need orientation..to be set free

20. Teresa George

Teresa George

January 6, 2019 at 5:23 pm

They shouldn’t ban my sniper o, what about the mosquitoes and cockroaches, beside is sniper the only poisoning agent in the world, they should ban ropes and ceilings too

21. Anita Ubah Dimaku

Anita Ubah Dimaku

January 6, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Yes plsssss….

22. Akoma Sandra

Akoma Sandra

January 6, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Will banning SNIPER solve the problem? Ngwanu you pipo should ban otapiapia too

23. Juliet Gelsthorpe

Juliet Gelsthorpe

January 8, 2019 at 1:08 am

Banning snipper won’t do anything. Suicide has been ongoing long before d invention of snipper. People are depressed and its not funny. Before now,it used to be hanging of ones self or stabbing. All of which are still suicide. I wished we could see d hearts of our families and friends and proffer solutions to their silent challenges. A lot of them can’t speak out for fear of been judged and misunderstood. God will help us all