#SheSaidThis

Ronke Bamisedun’s Advice To Single Women Who Have Been Told To Tone Down Their Achievements To Accommodate a Man

Many young, single and successful women in Nigeria have been told directly or indirectly to tone down their achievements in order to get or keep a man.

The Founder of BWL Agency, a strategic brand development and communications company based in Lagos, Ronke Bamisedun does not agree with such notion because she thinks there’s much more to her than marriage.

In a chat with Guardian, Ronke bares her mind on the pressure to get married as a successful young woman.

She said,
Our generation has really been dealt an unfair blow by those before us. Look at Nigeria during the time of our great- grand fathers – our manufacturing industry was booming, we were producing, there was access to land, infrastructure.

I come from a family of manufacturers, my late grandfather made something out of nothing. He wasn’t from a prominent family but he was able to make something for himself and give his kids a life that he didn’t have- guess what? Nigeria gave him that opportunity.

Now, look at the state of the country – the rate of unemployment is outstanding and the young people of our generation cannot catch a break. You know like we don’t have enough to deal with, then comes the pressure for females to be married by a certain age (the dreaded 30). This I have to say is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard.

Young ladies are getting married and settling in bad marriages because society has told them that they strive for marriage, that marriage is their highest form of accomplishment. I’ve been told several times to dumb down myself, tone down my achievements, simply to make some man comfortable.

Let me ask one question: did my father work so hard to send his daughters to school only for them to be told that they should tone down their intelligence to please people? Of course not. I am not married so I can’t speak on that topic but I understand that marriage and being with someone is not a way to secure financial freedom.

So, my advice for young female professionals is to live your life. Do not let culture, tradition and people’s opinions stifle the person you can be. See the world, get out of doing the same things. Make mistakes, learn from it. Fall and then pick yourself up.

Importantly, please get out of the mindset that you need a man to be ‘set’ in life, that you need to marry a rich man to give you the things you need. This is something I’ve heard so many times in this environment. No you don’t, all you need is your brain and prayers.

Head over to Guardian for the full interview

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

1. Mercy Effiong

Mercy Effiong

September 29, 2017 at 10:32 am

is it a most that everyone should get married bcos d tension to get married is much even when u re not ready for it for personal reason

Odedairo Oluwatobiloba

September 29, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Abi o.

Davies Osas

September 29, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Bcos it is a most, you find women settling for more than what they deserve……. its a matter of choice but not a necessity

2. Ramat Peace

Ramat Peace

September 29, 2017 at 10:47 am

The trouble in d society is much,d pleasure from home,if u r nt married at a particular age ur family and people around ll tink u av a problem.

Odedairo Oluwatobiloba

September 29, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Let them think abeg. We came to this world on different paths with different missions. The only One we’re truly answerable to is the Almighty Father.

• Medinat Mk

Medinat Mk'ail

September 29, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Wait till menopause caught up with u

Davies Osas

September 29, 2017 at 12:13 pm

It’s becoming something else. They won’t encourage you to do better instead they’ll like to frustrate you with the issue of marriage as if marriage is the ultimate

Jennifer Ogadinma Nwaobasi

September 29, 2017 at 6:38 pm

U nailed it my sister

3. Funmi Fay

Funmi Fay

September 29, 2017 at 2:07 pm

And someone even told me after I lost my mom to just goan get married,so my husband will take care of me and my 4 siblings at the age of 20,with nothing to call my own…was even in my first year at school.even though am not there yet,I thank God I didn’t yield to that advice

Mercy Effiong

September 29, 2017 at 3:32 pm

getting married bcos of financial difficulty is a bad idea at d end of d dayhe will use that as an advantage over u thanks 4 ur courage let d will of God b done in our lives

Funmi Fay

September 29, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Amen and thanks

Okeke Ibeto Nonye

September 30, 2017 at 8:50 am

Sweet heart thanks you did succumb you could have lived a miserable life.I guess parents are very selfish and wicked .the main aim of marriage is defeated in Africa that S why there is high rate of cheating in Africa.how on earth can a woman settle down with a man out of her choice just only to take care if siblings or parents mere wickedness is tat God’s intention of marriage .I think God will judge every parents that pushed their to such due to their selfish reasons .

4. Nkee Anuforo

Nkee Anuforo

September 29, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Thanks my sister

5. Brownie Pearls Bakare

Brownie Pearls Bakare

September 29, 2017 at 5:19 pm

yes.the society doesnt favor the woman at all

6. Blessing Chinwe

Blessing Chinwe

September 30, 2017 at 6:10 am

Well said

7. Okeke Ibeto Nonye

Okeke Ibeto Nonye

September 30, 2017 at 8:54 am

Ladies should speak out and say no to early marriage thank God for Stephanie Okereke is championing it.hell no to such menace in the society .marriage is not meant for teenagers .parents should stop

8. Elizabeth Iweanoge

Elizabeth Iweanoge

September 30, 2017 at 5:29 pm

AWARENESS TO REAL WOMEN…. Marriage is a personal phenomenon and not Achievement!!!! Be who u wanna BE

9. Ohene Wazir Zuriel

Ohene Wazir Zuriel

October 3, 2017 at 11:42 am

She a sensible feminist i will say🙄

10. Pingback: There Is A Huge Difference Between How Society Sees Temmy At 30 And How She Sees Herself At 30 – Woman.NG

11. Malachi Joy

Malachi Joy

April 26, 2020 at 9:58 pm

E tire me oo

12. Omoru Onome Pamela

Omoru Onome Pamela

April 26, 2020 at 10:25 pm

so on point.

13. Obotere Vusi

Obotere Vusi

April 26, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Free training, learn how to make different fasicnator and turban.
    If you are interested say hi.

14. Joy Ayomide Lala

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 26, 2020 at 11:04 pm

This same narrative of saying all married young ladies are settling in a bad marriage should change… It’s a matter of choice.. You shouldn’t be guilt tripped into either getting married or not getting married…

Joy Isidahome

April 27, 2020 at 6:22 am

Joy Ayomide Lala what’s ur point

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 7:10 am

Joy Isidahome Her point is that not all young ladies are settling in bad marriage

Joy Isidahome

April 27, 2020 at 8:59 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu Sometimes we should learn to get d messages be4 commenting on peoples post, d post never implied all young ladies,but addressing those in bad marriages, who should HV done better be4 settling just 4 d sake of settling as a trend

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 9:16 am

Joy Isidahome Noted👍

Imaobong Oloruntoba

April 27, 2020 at 9:39 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu her point is that marriage is a good thing. If u made a bad choice of a spouse isn’t a reason for u to degrade the institution of marriage or blame anyone for ur bad choices. When God created marriage, he didn’t make a mistake and he didn’t ask any woman not to have a purpose. Let’s stop misguiding people and making them feel marriage is a wrong choice to make. There are many women out there whose husbands support their dreams, encourage them and push them to be a better version of what they used to be. Marriage is a beautiful thing and place to be IF you make the right choice of spouse. How do u make the right choice? Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and God will direct ur path to the bone of ur bone. Marriage is honorable.

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 9:52 am

Imaobong Oloruntoba Noted too

Ima Igwe

April 27, 2020 at 10:31 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu did the writer say all young ladies are settling in bad marriage? Hmmmmmm

Ima Igwe

April 27, 2020 at 10:37 am

Imaobong Oloruntoba your point is out of the context of the writer. Life is about choices. The writer chose to rise about societal construct to live her life the way it suit her. If anyone mistake her words and decide to act based on what she assume she means, that’s the person’s choice. I don’t know why opinion as this get twisted to serve as defense to people who aren’t bold enough to do so

Abiola Mi

April 27, 2020 at 10:54 am

Imaobong Oloruntoba so all the people in bad marriages didn’t seek first the kingdom of God

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 11:32 am

Ima Igwe You are taking it personal already?? Sorry oo

Ima Igwe

April 27, 2020 at 11:36 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu wow! You must be a victim cos that’s another defense people like u use in order to waive out a point. Bye!

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 11:39 am

Ima Igwe Na you sabi moreover everyone’s point differs

Imaobong Oloruntoba

April 27, 2020 at 11:40 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu sorry dear, I wanted to respond to the other lady that tagged u

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 11:42 am

Imaobong Oloruntoba It’s no problem..i also gat a point from your reply 👍

Imaobong Oloruntoba

April 27, 2020 at 11:44 am

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu y should I? I’m not the type of social media user who fights over other people’s opinion rather than give my own opinion in peace. I’m too knowledgeable for that pls. Everyone is entitled to contribute gracefully to whatsoever they dim fit. I dont have to agree with ur view, same as me.

Imaobong Oloruntoba

April 27, 2020 at 11:46 am

Ima Igwe everyone reads from a different spec. U read urs from a different spec, I also did mine. Pick the important point nd move on or don’t. Its a choice

Victoria Ogechi Chukwu

April 27, 2020 at 11:49 am

Ima Igwe You be saint nah or rather perfect !
      See them 😒

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Imaobong Oloruntoba Thanks for this. I couldn’t have explained it better

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 12:02 pm

Ima Igwe Read the post ‘young ladies are settling into bad marriages…’ they prefer to generalise it… That’s my wahala

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 12:03 pm

I’m young and married and I wouldn’t want it another way… There’s no point in someone trying to guilttrip others into buying into their ideas

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 12:05 pm

This same narrative have made other young ladies who are in very stable and happy homes or relationships to go quiet about it… Because the things we see and hear explains that all young marriages will fail

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Joy Isidahome Please read the post again. Don’t you think she could have made her point loud and clear without involving the ‘young ladies are settling in bad marriages narrative’?

That’s my point.

Roselyn Godwin

April 27, 2020 at 1:48 pm

If you want to write an article about how not all mordern marriages mean the ladies settled, do so and we’ll discuss it there.
      This is a very different topic.

Joy Ayomide Lala

April 27, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Roselyn Godwin .

Joy Lyon James Alexander

April 27, 2020 at 6:32 pm

Imaobong Oloruntoba marriage is so honorable they best thing that can happen to a woman

15. Nlemadim Amarachi

Nlemadim Amarachi

April 26, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Nice write up

16. Franca Udeabanihu Ani

Franca Udeabanihu Ani

April 26, 2020 at 11:58 pm

It is not the case any more.
    Most young ladies see getting married now as competition. Most of them want to be on social media too, posting the pictures and showing off. This person, the other person has gotten married, me too, I will get married. They don’t care what the boy does, most times in that relationship, the guy doesn’t even treat them well. They go out and bring the guy home to their parents, and what do they do, they accept, since this days everybody is grown, fending for themselves in most cases, the patents barely have a say.

17. Chioma Ikeh

Oladejo Blessyn Afeso

April 27, 2020 at 2:50 am

Well-spoken

20. Chinonso Clement Obed

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 3:49 am

Change your mindset, if why you went to school is to control a man then you are making a great mistake, the dignity and respect of woman is her husband. A woman without a husband is like an uncompleted building without a fence, any mad person can come inside to live.

Adaku Chibuzor

April 27, 2020 at 5:20 am

Chinonso Clement Obed women are complete. It is men whose ribs are missing.

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph

April 27, 2020 at 5:42 am

Chinonso Clement Obed don’t mind them, if they involved themselves in bad relationship or marriage they become a philosopher. You can be a complete career woman, fulfilled woman, public figure and still be happily married. Look at Ngozi okonjo eweala,late dora akunyili, omotola jalade, Mitchell Obama etc they’re married and still achieving. Look for a better role model and stop blaming society for your failed relationship

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 5:51 am

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph exactly my dear

Anulika Nwakanma

April 27, 2020 at 6:19 am

Chinonso Clement Obed, you should be the one to change your mindset because if this describe is the orientation you have, it needs change. Don’t pass it to your daughters or your sons. It is not what God created it to be.
      I am a married woman and happy. Marriage is a phase of life and not an achievement. At that phase you feel it, it happened. When God created Adam, he didn’t have a companion at heart, Adam got to a phase of loneliness and helped me through that phase by making Eve available for him.
      If there was anyone that wasn’t complete, it was the man, Adam.
      When a woman is single, life continue and when a woman is married, life continue with increase assignment. That is why a man must be patience to find who is going make the assignment easier for him and a woman also.
      I was in the hospital the other day, a woman was in labour, it was not easy for her, I asked of her husband, the nurses echo, ‘men,’ he has left to return when a child comes out. Such a husband isn’t making assignment of child bearing easy for the woman. The same day, another woman was in labour, it was not easily for her,too but her husband was walking up around the hospital with his wife. This second one is making the assignment of child bearing easy for his wife. I would want to go into tails of the story of these two women in narration.
      There is no in complete house anywhere, God has made everyone perfect.
      When God said, I will you…suitable’ and Adam declared, ‘this is the rib or my rib,’ it was a confirmation of suitable for…. People like you, women allow for that suitable and push a woman to any man, ‘just be married,’ and when the suitable is not of the woman for the man, the man know begin to feel vacuum, anger and range begin to set in and the woman is confuse, crisis begins.
      Whenever I remembered what my brother in-law ones said, he said, ‘there is no time he has fasted and prayed in his life more than when he was ready for marriage.’ When men understand this, study how marriage started, the would understand that it is not a woman that should be disturb about marriage but a man. God has made a ‘suitable’, your capability to ‘find’ that made is when you can declare like Adam, ‘now this is the rib of my rib.’ It is something you can just immediately that you ‘find.’ That is why a wife mist be found and not a husband.

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 6:36 am

Anulika Nwakanma okay, but next time always read a comment carefully before commenting

Bukola Jegede

April 27, 2020 at 7:49 am

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph I think they married the right men….most men never want their wives greatness .Most married men stopped their wives to become what she want for herself.

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph

April 27, 2020 at 7:53 am

Bukola Jegede things like that should be discussed before marriage. How can I spent 11years in higher institution and one man will tell me to end it in the kitchen all in the name of marriage? It’s better to know your man well enough before marriage

Favour Atunure

April 27, 2020 at 8:34 am

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph even the ones you know well change…
      Waiting for the perfect time to act ..
      Most times when they know they’ve married you…

Eby Chinedum

April 27, 2020 at 8:38 am

Chinonso pls don’t pass this message to the next generation, pls.

Ehwarieme Naomi

April 27, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed some men feels so insecure around women especially wen she is a carrier woman,hw can u tell me to drop wat ever i was doing carrier wise just because i want to get married simply becos de man feels if i attain a certain height i will control him, i think men need de change in orientation, no woman want to get married so dat she can control her husband. A man dat is not comfortable of my ambition nd not ready to support me isn’t fit to be my husband.

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Ehwarieme Naomi l’m never against a man supporting his wife in her carrier, always read a comment carefully before commenting.

Ehwarieme Naomi

April 27, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph some of them pretend cos dey know if dey tell u from de word go u wont marry them so dey wait until u r married to them before dey nw come out in their real color, most of dem feel very OK with ur ambition bt just waiting for de right time to display their headship.

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Eby Chinedum which message? Always read a comment carefully before commenting

Ehwarieme Naomi

April 27, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed ur comment was well understood, nd i think u should read my response again nd understand my own perspective.

Udoh Grace

April 27, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Adaku Chibuzor Thanks sis can’t love you less

Roselyn Godwin

April 27, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed maybe you should read your comment again. Imagine being your own source of oppression. You’re talking crap like “A woman without a husband is like an uncompleted building” and you think you’re okay.
      How much more mysogynist can you get?
      Change your mind set and don’t let your daughters know you ever thought like this.

Ejiro John

April 27, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed emptiness

Ejiro John

April 27, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Anulika Nwakanma I need to share this, such deep wisdom.

Emenike Peace

April 27, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Anulika Nwakanma oh sis
      I want to love this comment one million times and show it to every one who cares to see….
      Such a deep wisdom

Emenike Peace

April 27, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed sis pls if this is what you are told,I will beg u not to pass it on to your female kids pls…..so empty and archaic

Ovonomo Evaresta Ayambare

April 27, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed who be these…if u are wise u would understand what she meant 🥴

Chinonso Clement Obed

April 27, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Ovonomo Evaresta Ayambare l’m not wise, thanks for that but don’t abuse people you don’t know anyhow

Ovonomo Evaresta Ayambare

April 27, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Chinonso Clement Obed I did not abuse u o I only said what was on my mind as u did….it’s a question u can say yes or no…💆

Ama Serwaa

April 28, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Are u a human being ?

Ügböaku Tobias

April 29, 2020 at 7:06 pm

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph marry young live young…….my dear don’t mind dem if there relationships doesn’t work out the generalized it.marriage it sweet and fun….you shared intimacy with your spouse without feeling guilty about it…..

Ügböaku Tobias

April 29, 2020 at 7:10 pm

Adedamola Olaseni Joseph I married my husband as a B.Sc. holder now I will be going for my PhD next year. Allow them to keep blaming the society for their failed relationship…..love ur comment dear

Udoh Grace

April 30, 2020 at 11:51 am

Ügböaku Tobias Just because your noodles is ready within 10mins, doesn’t mean the person cooking beans is lazy.

21. Uduak Isaac Effiong

Uduak Isaac Effiong

April 27, 2020 at 8:42 am

Marriage is a choice and no marriage is without challenges just like life itself.

22. Anita Tuduo

Anita Tuduo

April 27, 2020 at 8:43 am

This is the best piece I’ve gotten this year

23. Agumadu Cynthia Sandra

Agumadu Cynthia Sandra

April 27, 2020 at 9:39 am

Louder 👂👂👂👂👂 thank God for my parents
    For been my strength 😘 and encouraging me to be more and say yes when I feel am ready ,no pressure just ur time 😘😘 is OK by us

24. Nwamaka Gloria Ejimbe

Nwamaka Gloria Ejimbe

April 27, 2020 at 10:11 am

Spot on

25. Borla Tee To

Borla Tee To

April 27, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Well said

26. Emenike Peace

Emenike Peace

April 27, 2020 at 5:14 pm

The volume isn’t loud enough sis
    I want to love this over and over again ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

27. Nwasinachi Happiness

Nwasinachi Happiness

April 27, 2020 at 5:26 pm

Louder

28. Chioma Okolocha

Chioma Okolocha

April 27, 2020 at 5:53 pm

Louder pls

29. Tessy Joseph

Tessy Joseph

April 27, 2020 at 6:36 pm

No babe girl, the right man that knows his Onion that respect and valued Greatness himself will come for you dear. Never tone down the Greatness that God has put in you which your parents etc helped to build in you fade out just because of a man who doesn’t even want himself to be great. Because if he doesn’t see himself being great today or tomorrow trust me he wouldn’t value any woman that is.

30. Uduak Phillip

Uduak Phillip

April 27, 2020 at 7:50 pm

One ‘elder’ even told me that I speak too much English! And I wonder, should I speak more of Swahili? Or maybe Egun?! to please society! Mtchewew!

31. Ovonomo Evaresta Ayambare

Ovonomo Evaresta Ayambare

April 27, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Yours is good o me I have younger sister’s that even tell me am too old to be at home eating from my mom’s… because am not married… but what I have seen in life would never make me marry a man that lay his hand on me because I want to please people… our mother’s has teach girls to live for marriage and boys to do what they like…I want to marry but I want to be strong to do that👍

32. Oguche Joseph

Oguche Joseph

April 28, 2020 at 9:12 am

Posts like this tend to comfort/console those unmarried set of women whom deep down desire to have a man at all cost. Thus sharing other innocent ladies hubby’s and wrecking homes.

33. Agnes Amanda

Agnes Amanda

April 28, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Local mentality. If u can’t cope with the fact that God has blessed me with good brains then go ur way.

34. Nnedi Obumse

Nnedi Obumse

April 29, 2020 at 11:09 pm

I think the advice is Marriage is good and it is better for every woman to settle into marriage than spending your life as a sidechick or home breaker on the long run.

35. Okondu Nneka Helen

Okondu Nneka Helen

April 30, 2020 at 3:16 pm

People must talk. Just follow God’s leading and purpose for one’s life

36. Abi Apalara

Abi Apalara

April 30, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Marriage is God’s idea, he created females as helpmeet for the Males. To help someone you need to have the capacity and the person you need to help must realise you are coming to help. Sadly the helpee, most times thinks they are the helper. And ironically the helper is positioning herself as the one who needs help.😳😳. Marriage is beautiful, it is the two people involve that determines the whether, they want the joy of marriage or the other side of the coin. Most marriage stories you hear, are those of sorrow and agony but there are millions of blissful marriages too. I think it is time people approach marriage with knowledge and some form of training. Knowing what marriage is, who to marry and why you are getting married will go a long way to ensure you marry the right person. Most people train for their careers but hardly have any knowledge about marriage. Seek knowledge and you will gain wisdom needed for building a successful marriage. Both Male and female need some form of marriage education before considering marriage. #justmythought.

37. Celina Alfred

Celina Alfred

April 30, 2020 at 5:50 pm

God bless you for speaking the truth